Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Net Connection in a building

Options
  • 26-05-2003 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi Guys

My mates dad owns a building in which there are currently 4 small companies.
    He was asking me recently about Internet access etc and I recommended ADSL.

As the discussion developed, we hit on the great idea of providing wireless internet access to all the companies in the building.

Can anyone recommend a good set up for this type of system where you are sharing the net connection across the building, but obviously, each company will want to keep their own data etc, secure?

Thanks

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

There's a couple of things that you would have to inform us about first..
    1: What is the building structure like. Wall thickness and the layout, overall size, and amount of floors?
    2: What type of wireless network do you want to set up, ie. the speed and to how many machines?

... :ninja:

For 3 small company's in theory you could use 1 basic 4 port wireless router and 3 wireless adapters that are linked to 1 machine from each company. That machine then bridges the connection between the hard wired setup and the wireless, for security purposes the machine serving as a bridge can have a software firewall installed to protect data on the network...
    And thats it. In theory offcourse... but you got to take into account the stuff at the top.

Ken:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To make that simpler.

Each company will ideally require a Wirless Access Point that they will connect to their wired LAN.

You will then need a central xDSL modem/switch/router to connect to the incoming xDSL line. This will then be connected to another Wireless Access Point through the use of a CAT 5 patch cable.

The 4 Wireless Access Points will need to support bridging. The three APs, one for each company, will connect wirelessly back to the central AP in a multi-bridging fashion.

This will set up a basic service set allowing for each company to communication wirelessly to the central AP and then with the outside world using the xDSL modem/switch/router.

You can purchase devices with a The Wireless AP, xDSL router, switch and firewall all in the one box. The only issue now will be ensuring that one company will not be able to access another companies LAN. Off hand, VLANs would solve this but I am sure there is simpler ways of doing this!

The central AP may need to be some sort of uber yoke to ensure security. I now have a sore head!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

True that will work better.. I was just looking at the cheaper option.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Would a wired network not be better.
    Also get the eircom enhanced to ensure reliability.
    Do not use any of the RADSL packages.
    Eircom has exellent support on the ADSL. Use high quality components to avoid hassle.

Advertisement