Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating a contract on ebay

Options
  • 26-05-2003 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

i am not sure if this is the right place but here goes, i bid for something on ebay, i won the bid but the shipping was allot more than expected [1.5 times the cost of the item] so now i do not want to buy the item, i contacted the seller and informed him, he isn’t too happy about this and still wants me to buy it. Can he actually do anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You're supposed to equire about shipping and stuff before hand if it hasn't beenmade clear what the shipping to your area is.

If however, he stated the shipping as a certain price and is now trying to up it, he hasn't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i think i emailed him about shipping and i didnt recieve a responce from him, but i am not sure because it was a while ago.he stated shipping to anywhere in the UK was £5 and the i got an email saying shipping to Ireland was €25 a five fold increase, making the item not even worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

How big/heavy is the item? A lot of places (online) charge about 25 euros for shipping to Ireland, it's not uncommon.

He can't make you pay, technically, but he can give you bad feedback and report you to Ebay. They frown upon these things.

It costs him money to list an item so he'll have lost money on this aswell. Not sure of the specifics, it's been a while since I've sold something on Ebay...

Originally posted by irishguy
    i think i emailed him about shipping and i didnt recieve a responce from him, but i am not sure because it was a while ago.he stated shipping to anywhere in the UK was £5 and the i got an email saying shipping to Ireland was €25 a five fold increase, making the item not even worth buying.

May I ask what the item is?
    I use Royal mail alot and I sincerely doubt anything will go up that much.

I had an Xbox and 10 games shipped from Leeds for 15 Euros.

I'd look up the shipping price yourself and go back to him with the cheapest quote. Also find out if you mailed and he replied.

its 6 harddrives, which would weigh about 4kg [guess] i dont really care about the bad feedback and i wouldnt mind paying his listing costs for the item

• Advertisement

its 6 harddrives, which would weigh about 4kg [guess] i dont really care about the bad feedback and i wouldnt mind paying his listing costs for the item. ijust want to make sure he cant make me pay, is it not a legally binding contract?

Yep it is. The next step is usually arbitration thru E-bay.
    You may be able to get a cheaper way to transport them.

Failing that offer him the fees and see if he relents.

Advertisement