Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing an ADSL Connection

• 26-05-2003 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

I have recently applied for a broadband connection to be installed in my home. I have 2 PC's, in different rooms and I was just wondering if it was possible to share out the connection between both PC's and if so what would the best approach be? (Extra hardware would not be a problem)

Cheer's in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Get 2 wireless adaptors.
    Don't mind all the bull**** you see around about routers etc.
    The only advantage when using 2 pcs and having a router is that the primary pc doesn't need to be on.
    When you network then you will want to share printer etc, so it'll have to be on a anyway, so no advantage there with a router.
    I got mine networked wirelessly for less than €100.
    I'm sharing my printer dvd and DSL connection.
    So now the wife can use the internet and printer not kick me off the PC while i'm playing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

try a search for threads on adsl sharing or connection sharing, on this or the nets/comm forums. There's a rake of information, this is a recurring theme. Best of luck,
    Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Get 2 wireless adaptors.
    Don't mind all the bull**** you see around about routers etc.
    The only advantage when using 2 pcs and having a router is that the primary pc doesn't need to be on.
    When you network then you will want to share printer etc, so it'll have to be on a anyway, so no advantage there with a router.

You can get a broadband router with a print server built in so you dont have to keep your main pc on.
    Thats the way i have mine setup and i'd assume most other broadband routers would have a print server too.
    You can even get wireless routers so you would only need to get a wireless card for one pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Kev: then you need a network printer, which is more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Originally posted by fatguy
    Kev: then you need a network printer, which is more expensive.

nah thats what the print server in the broadband router handles.

i have my printer connected to my router using the same parallel cable that used to be pluged into the pc, and all computers can print to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement