Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy this Dell laptop

• 26-05-2003 2:52pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a Dell Latitude CPX laptop for €635.00
    Brief specs.: PIII 650, 128MB RAM, 12GB HDD, CDRW.

I have been looking for a used laptop for a while (albeit one for around €300 - €400), this seems like a decent spec.
    Is it cheap, should I buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Personally i would think that thats a bit expensive for what you get.
    Then again, second hand laptops always seemed to be a rip off

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Well, it's not something that I absolutely must have.
    Therefore, would only buy if either the laptop was cheap (as I said €300 to €400) or was a definite bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alir123

i would advise u not to touch DELL. I purchased a dell a month ago & had to get legal action because of their crap technical support in INDIA !. My graphics card died the day i took it out of box. Dell's prices are low, but at what price @ u willing to pay if something goes wrong with it. Type in DELL SUCKS in google or go to www.baddealings.com (You might even find some of my posts in there). When that happened to my computer, I read some of the posts in that site & its actually made me sick...literally.

Plz BEWARE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

Depends how good is your computer if its good, then yes!
    But the price is rather steep!:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by alir123
    i would advise u not to touch DELL. I purchased a dell a month ago & had to get legal action because of their crap technical support in INDIA !. My graphics card died the day i took it out of box. Dell's prices are low, but at what price @ u willing to pay if something goes wrong with it. Type in DELL SUCKS in google or go to www.baddealings.com (You might even find some of my posts in there). When that happened to my computer, I read some of the posts in that site & its actually made me sick...literally.

Plz BEWARE !!!

I thaught there technical support was in wyatville(ballybrack) co dublin, and sales in bray.
    the laptop try and get them down in price a bit a little pricy, get them down to around 450 to 500 no more than that :ninja:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mac daddy
    I thaught there technical support was in wyatville(ballybrack) co dublin, and sales in bray.

i thought so too, but trust me, its in Bangladore India. Everytime I rang customer care which i think is in Northern Ireland they patch you through to tech support to guys who can bearly speak english ! That is the truth:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yes, second hand laptops are a ripoff, but you don't need a brand new one. PIII 650 is plenty of power. You can upgrade the ram and hard drive later, I got 256mb of ram for my HP omnibook 4150 ( p3 450 ) , for $60 off ebay.

alir, not everyone is going to have a good experience with a particular laptop. Dell seem to have a pretty good reputation for support from what I've heard, I'd presume this laptop is still in warranty samson. It sounds like a pretty good deal, try and knock it down to 600 though.

Originally posted by Gerry

alir, not everyone is going to have a good experience with a particular laptop. Dell seem to have a pretty good reputation for support from what I've heard, I'd presume this laptop is still in warranty samson. It sounds like a pretty good deal, try and knock it down to 600 though.

i was talking about my own experience with a brand new dimension 4500 P4 PC.

And No, Dell does not have a good reputation for support. You only hear it from THEM that they do. A couple more of my m8s had nitemare support from them as well.

Ring Tech support for yourself & listen to what they have to say

Best Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh i have a dell no problems at all two of me mates do too no problem at all my dad and my brother have two dell laptops and no bother at all i like dell but when i'm thinking of upgrading i might go for the option of building!

*Edit* my brother had a friend who was in tech support in dell and he was made redundant cos they moved the tech support to india

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thats from softtuch aint it ??? well personaly i would want some type of come back . 6 months - a year .. + i think u should see it b4 u buy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I got a nice laptop of eurosimm a good while ago, very cheap for it's spec and still ticking.

http://www.eurosimm.co.uk/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by elexes
    thats from softtuch aint it ???

Yes, it is.
    Said nothing on the mail about warranty, but I did plan on asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Samson, laptop's are realy, IMHO, only worth it if you have a very specitfc and pressing need to be mobile. You end up paying, on average, about 30-50% extra for the same specs as a desktop.
    Weigh it in carfully before you buy it. ALso they are a nightmare to fix and much more expensive than Desktops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,645 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Snowball
    Samson, laptop's are realy, IMHO, only worth it if you have a very specitfc and pressing need to be mobile

My feelings exactly, Snowball. If you get one through work, fine. I'd never spend my hard-earned money on one unless I absolutely had to. Would go out of my way to explore other options if I had to be mobile with a PC, e.g. using a barebones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They are not that much more expensive then desktops. You just need to know where to buy them.

The laptop I got at the time was about the same/cheaper price of a desktop of the same spec.

They aren't great for games though. That's about it.

Advertisement