Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working/holiday visas

Options
  • 26-05-2003 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

The plan is to leave this beautiful country for a year of travelling and doing a spot of working every now and then.

I'm thinking about Australia just because of their 1 year working visa, but maybe there are other similar visas for other countries out there. Ideally I'd like to go to the US but the chances of getting a green card are slim to none, and the only other US visa I'm aware of is a 3 month holiday visa.

Then there's all those english teaching options in the far east, but I wouldn't be overly keen on those.

Has anyone any experience travelling/working abroad...I would appreciate some suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Whoops...this was meant for the travel/holidays forum.

But while I'm here please feel free to offer any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Beany,

I'm in Oz on a working holiday visa, and I like it so much I'm in the process of getting sponsored for a resident working visa from 1-4 years.
    I reckon this is the worst time in the last 10 years to be goin to AmeriKKKa what with the whole totalitarian state Dubya is trying to implement.

Australia is pretty cool, (I love it here) especially if you like the type of music played on Phantom. If you do decide to come here I would suggest Melbourne, there are LOADS of local bands, live venues, cool bars and fantastic alt/rock/indie clubs. I mean Sydney is way better than Dublin and Melbourne is way better than Sydney.
    Only thing is its bastard cold here at the moment (compared to other Aussie climes NOT Ireland).

You can even apply for the Oz visa online at:

http://www.dimia.gov.au/

When I applied I got the visa confirmation the same day! Pretty amazing when you are used to withering Irish red tape government agencies.

If you make any headway drop me a line again and I'll give you more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

I lived in Perth for five months and only spent a week in Melbourne, but I'd go back tomorrow. Very cool city. And Nick Cave was born there too (so was Kylie, but we'll leave that aside...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Cheers folks, I reckon it'll probably be Australia...everyone who went has had a ball, so the country must be doing something right! Now the organisation part...

Advertisement