Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post edit window - 2880 mins

Options
  • 26-05-2003 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

This window sucks, it's way too small.

Can we raise it to something half decent (like 6 months/a year), or get rid of the false limitation completely?

Cheers,
    Al.

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 2880 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I quite like the limitation. What is the problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by ecksor
    I quite like the limitation. What is the problem with it?

It causes duplicate posts and/or threads, where the original poster needs to update the information in the original. This applies to stickies especially, but also to large non-sticky threads. I've come across the problem several times lately, hence this request.

Several other arguments spring to mind, some political. If posts reflect the views and opinions of the poster alone, and not boards.ie, shouldn't the poster have the right to change their view and/or opinion at any stage? Maybe not having any restriction at all is the better option.

But apologies for the digression - lets stick to my reason first - informational posts which need to be updated. I don't like having to create new posts, 7 or 8 pages into a thread just to update the info in the first post.

If the admins reject that as a valid reason to change or remove the limit perhaps we can discuss the other reasons. :)

Cheers,
    Al.

I do think that's a good reason in principle, but your friendly local moderator or admin should oblige you in editing such posts. Not ideal I'll grant you.

If someone changes their views, fine, but why change old posts? It's bloody annoying when a discussion becomes mixed up because someone gets caught out and changes their POV or stance or whatever and the following 10 posts all make no sense as a result.

I'm going to move this one to feedback/suggestions to get some more views on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I think old posts should become locked or archived if you will, But I do think the window is a tad small maybe five days or a week should leave plenty of time to make any additions or changes you want.

Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was going to remind you about the 2 day window actually Trojan, i forgot. It was on the Boards events - food topic wasn't it?

I agree with the small window but unfortunately long standing posts like yours re: the food issue on the night out would be deemed too long. Maybe increase the 2 day to 4 days but that would be shaving the already stubbled I'd say. Your post concerning food requirements would have to have been open for editing for about 2 weeks from the start though.

I'd prefer to see the 2880 kept but mods should be able to alter posts [by other posters] from any time back if they see fit however. (from a legal standpoint maybe) My two cents (or is it cent)

• Advertisement

Does the limit apply on a forum on which you are a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gordon - yeah, that was just one of the posts that got me though, there were several on that board, and one or 2 on another.

XOR: No, the restriction doesn't seem to apply to moderated boards (at least in this case I checked the sticky on top of Programming).

btw, I think anything less than a month is pointless, I don't see the difference adding an extra day is going to make, particularly in the case of informational posts.

As for causing confusion in argument/discussion threads, the posts are usually edited within the window in those cases, so that's not relevant.

And if the post is edited much later on, well who is there to be confused? Most people will not be reading back. It provides a poster a chance to erase their mistakes rather than leaving them public for posterity.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

(apologies, I thought I tested the window on the mod 'permissions' bit some time ago, I stand corrected, a mod can edit posts on their modded forum if needs be. Sorry.)

Al, I think that the time limit was put on because there were a couple of people creating (wanted) confusion in editing of original subject matter to create a specified post-edit goal. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think other people were deleting all there posts for some reason (weirdoes :)).

I went to Politics (not 'my' board) and found I couldn't edit the Useful Links post, which I created and tended to update once in a while. But I can edit the one on 'Accommodation'. Hmmmm, it give the Politics mods something to do. :D

Advertisement