Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod discussion - split from forum discussion

Options
  • 25-05-2003 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'm tired of seeing certain *individual's views or questions being posted repetitively, and of the regular - and imagined - complaints about abusive moderators. All noise and no signal.

These *individuals are on my ignore list, and they still get in the *way.

adam
    I'm tired of seeing certain *individual's views or questions being posted repetitively, and of the regular - and imagined - complaints about abusive moderators. All noise and no signal.

These *individuals are on my ignore list, and they still get in the *way.

adam
    Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. If your tired of being a Corrupt Mod then move on and stop picking on people that you just don’t like the look of or just don’t like what they have to say. I’m not that long here but from what I have seen from some of your posts you seem to have a personality problem or you have this uncanny ability to sort people into little boxes like HATE / DISSLIKE / TOTALLY DONT AGREE WITH / HANG ON I NEED TO LICK UP TO HIM / PEOPLE I CAN GIVE SNIDE REMARKS TO / and then there’s the IM A MOD BOX I can get away with anything I say or do. From what I can see here there are two kinds of Mods, people like Dustaz, Dev who try to rule this place with a Firm but fair hand, and then there’s you. You have had a go at almost everyone right or wrong. If us lesser mortals were to do what you have done we would never be able to show our faces here ever again. This is totally off topic and I apologise for my outburst.

OHP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I know. Learn how to post etc. Sorry. I was just a bit annoyed.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by OHP
    Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. If your tired of being a Corrupt Mod then move on and stop picking on people that you just don’t like the look of or just don’t like what they have to say. I’m not that long here but from what I have seen from some of your posts you seem to have a personality problem or you have this uncanny ability to sort people into little boxes like HATE / DISSLIKE / TOTALLY DONT AGREE WITH / HANG ON I NEED TO LICK UP TO HIM / PEOPLE I CAN GIVE SNIDE REMARKS TO / and then there’s the IM A MOD BOX I can get away with anything I say or do.
    <snipping the rest just to save space>
    Worth remembering that Adam isn't a mod on the IOFFL forums (though as most will remember he's a past mod). He's typing as an ordinary user and hasn't made reference to his being a mod. Dahamsta being a mod on the MS Apps/OS forum doesn't affect how I treat the guy's posts in any way and I'm sure Dustaz would say the same.

Having said that, he's certainly right on one thing. The S/N ratio has gone rather high on the noise side (and there's quite a bit of repetition)

This isn't the thread for the discussion above though. Let's not prove the IOFFL S/N theorem/problem as we watch.

(incidentally, Lord Acton's quote is over- and mis-used as people only quote the second part of it (which is a little out of context without the first part as it's missing the words "tends to"). Most people mean something more like Pitt's "Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it." We don't have unlimited power here as mods - we've a small group of admins and a larger group of users watching us all the time. We're just thread/post movers and box tickers)

Worth remembering that Adam isn't a mod on the IOFFL forums (though as most will remember he's a past mod
    Your point is?? Actually forget what I said its pointless!

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Perhaps, while this forum is being re-designed.

The length of time someone should serve as a voluntary Moderator should be on the agenda. IMHO six months or one year maximum. Would help to avoid the possibility of personality clashes occuring. Or any serving or "EX" IOFFL - Moderators getting "All wrapped up in the exuberance of thier own verbosity".

I also agree with everything OHP stated and the fact that he has been allowed to state his view - without beind deleted! - or attacked.

Particularly, by the *EX - IOFFL, Moderator who continues to nit pick in an overbearing elitist way at other peoples postings in a manner that should and would not be tolerated on other forums, but for obvious favouritism.

As the aims and objectives of IOFFL are more important than any particular individuals gifts or failings. That is all I have too state on this minor human failing.

Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Paddy20
    The length of time someone should serve as a voluntary Moderator should be on the agenda. IMHO six months or one year maximum. Would help to avoid the possibility of personality clashes occuring.

Paddy

Would you ever give over whinging about the mods. By common agreement the mods here are some of the best anywhere, they voluntarily give of their time to manage a busy forum and do it with a minimum of intervention. I don't agree/like some of their decisions, but I accept them nonetheless.

If they are guilty of anything its being over tolerant on some occasions. And anyway, there is another way to avoid personality clashes occurring if that's what's worrying you.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As far as i can see here OHP has failed to understand the moderator set up on boards and Paddy is moaning about something slightly off-topic.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I'd recycle these straight away except that i suppose we should be open to critisicm.

The laugh of it is these are just creating noise in a topic designed to try to cut DOWN on the noise :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I guess I kind of started it, so my apologies for that.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Paddy20
    and would not be tolerated on other forums, but for obvious favouritism.
    I'd let that go but well, I won't. There's no favouritism anywhere on this board (no, really, I mean it!). There are relatively few people here who haven't had the odd post edited/snipped/dumped. dahamsta isn't one of those lucky few. I'm not offended by the suggestion but I'm a little surprised (this is the type of board where people would happily send a PM to if they thought this kind of thing was going on (or better/worse still, complain to DeV or put a big thread on the Feedback forum about it so the washing is done in public).

As for the time limit on anyone moderating the forum, we've had this one before. Which doesn't necessarily mean it can't be brought up again of course. You know something, I don't feel like a big man moderating the forum. It was nice to be asked obviously but I don't stride the boards like a colossus.

Sometimes it's actually quite a bit of trouble having to read absolutely everything that everyone types on the board. It's something I'm willing to do to help the cause in some way other than posting. It isn't nice banning people (I've only done it once), it isn't nice editing the occasional post that people have worked on when it has to be done and stepping in to stop people raving at each other isn't always something you feel like doing. The (perceived) power isn't all that much really. As I said above, we're effectively pencil pushers. Nothing more. You get a bit more recognition on boards because of it, but with close to 4000 posts in my case (some of them even useful), that's something you'd be getting anyway.

Eh, that's about it really. I'm sure that if either of us thought more than a few thought a crap job was being done, either or both of us would step off the box immediately.

(btw this is not a call or a pleading for anyone to say anything akin to "er, you're doing an all right job" If you don't break my windows at night I'm happy)

(actually that reply was quite a bit longer than I planned)

I apologise for starting all this lads. It was just a misunderstanding on my behalf and I should not have posted anything while I was feeling annoyed anyway. So I would be grateful if all this could just be binned if that’s ok with ye?

Regards,

OHP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cool OHP, we all have those days.

One point though... short of the current moderators resigning, you have to be joking if you think I'd replace them on some form of time-basis. They've steered us with a firm but gentle hand between the fine lines of defamation/lawsuit and restrictive oppression of freedom of speech.
    If you've had a threadcut, I've absolutely no sympathy for you as the IOFFL mods are second to none imho.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Careful now DeV, they'll start asking for money. The dusty one's not too bad but the one called trophy or wand or whatever would rip yer lungs out and sell 'em to a far east trader soon as look at you. Bastard. I liked my liver!

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, DeV must be the Taoiseach. Everybody grovel! The King The King!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

By the way, just to go off topic here for a second. In Greece when the times were "democratic" the council for Athens (or Greece) was actually chosen by a random pickings of 1-200 people in the city or country. The leaders were chosen by some similar random/chosen eventuality. It was so that any old mucker would have stood in the parliament and had his say and had his way. Hence the government was actually formed from individuals that may know something or nothing about the topic at hand. It worked for some time but Greece is now a bit shabby when it comes to running countries now.

anyway, I thought I'd add this remark in to instill a little history. *sorry* for? off)( topic><@...

I'm not condoning this way btw.

yours,
    Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Careful now DeV, they'll start asking for money. The dusty one's not too bad but the one called trophy or wand or whatever would rip yer lungs out and sell 'em to a far east trader soon as look at you. Bastard. I liked my liver!

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, DeV must be the Taoiseach. Everybody grovel! The King The King!

adam
    Sceptre will be quick to point out that the actual quote is "Power tends to corrupt...".

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Sceptre will be quick to point out that the actual quote is "Power tends to corrupt...".
    He already did, I was just being difficult. :)

adam

Originally posted by DeVore
    Cool OHP, we all have those days.

One point though... short of the current moderators resigning, you have to be joking if you think I'd replace them on some form of time-basis. They've steered us with a firm but gentle hand between the fine lines of defamation/lawsuit and restrictive oppression of freedom of speech.
    If you've had a threadcut, I've absolutely no sympathy for you as the IOFFL mods are second to none imho.

DeV.

Dev please read MY post. I never suggested that any MOD should be replaced or suggested that they be put on a time-basis. but I did say From what I can see here there are two kinds of Mods, people like Dustaz, Dev who try to rule this place with a Firm but fair hand, And remember this I did apologise for my post and I did ask for it to be Deleted but I will ask you to notice that the only people keeping this Post going are Mods. And I have no sympathy for you either if everyone else gets what im trying to say and you dont!!

OHP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lol OHP.... my apologies, the first part of my post was directed at you (the not having a good day) ...

the second part was directed at the notion that the mods might have a timelimit.... sorry, I wasnt attributing that notion to you and should have been clearer.

DeV.

Its easy to missunderstand a post Dev, you above all people should know that. So thats why I am asking you again to just BIN this thread before it turns into a free for all... please?

OHP

Aye, it wasnt one of my finest but I havent edited so that people can see it was an easy misunderstanding to follow out of it...

I'll lock this thread as I think we are all now violently agreeing with one another :)

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement