Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to see and do...

Options
  • 26-05-2003 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to Galway for a long weekend. (friday 6th to monday 9th).

One day will be spent on the Aran Islands (and more than likely a night so I can get nicely jarred).

However, anyone got any ideas of what should be seen/done?

Any nice small areas outside Galway that would be nice for an overnight stop?

Travelling with an Architect so arty, scenic stuff would be well appreciated. Anyone know of any trad stuff happening that weekend? (irish tourist board only has festivals at the end of may and end of June, nothing in between).

PS. any info on where to get riding lessons (the equine variety) or even a small mini trek would be nice too!

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hop in your car and head around the lakes (from the City head west towards Bushypark-> Moycullen -> Oughterard -> Maam Cross and take it from there.
    If you literally want to tear around the lakes, take a right at Maam Cross, otherwise head straight on and you'll end up back in Clifden/Carna.

If you make it to Cong check out Ashford Castle and the surrounding woods. Cong is a decent enough spot actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Goes as SyxPak said, goto Recess turn onto the R344, towards Letterfrack, Renvyle which is a beautifull area, then head towards Cleggan and CLifden but if you get the chance and the day is go head out the Upper Sky Road and you will not be disappointed.

Hey you could even goto Inish Boffin as well :)

Sean

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Yeah, upper sky road is cool. If your lookin for a feed, go to Peacocks of Mamm Cross, Best food this side of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

If your lookin for a feed, go to Peacocks of Mamm Cross, Best food this side of Galway

YEah the portions are good as well.

Sean
    :ninja:

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Number6
    Yeah, upper sky road is cool. If your lookin for a feed, go to Peacocks of Mamm Cross, Best food this side of Galway

Are you mad. All I remember of Peacocks was calling in with my parents for coffee as a kid and all the flies crawling all over the cakes.

Used to work with owners son... now I'm rambling... sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thanks for the suggestions.

and as for the flies... just think of them as animated raisins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Originally posted by daveg
    Are you mad. All I remember of Peacocks was calling in with my parents for coffee as a kid and all the flies crawling all over the cakes.

That was the old Peacocks. It's a lot cleaner now since they refurbished it.

Advertisement