Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic wireless network using Netsource

Options
  • 26-05-2003 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. Having just signed up to Netsource (due 4th June...) I now need to create a basic wireless network. I am brand new to networking, so just need someone to tell me exactly what I should buy please...:)

Here's the deal: phone point is downstairs, nowhere near any PCs. I have one main PC upstairs (currently connected with a dodgy wireless phone thingy) and one laptop. Either or both machines may be used at the same time.

What is the cheapest and most reliable way to get this up and running? Specific products would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

d-link have some reasonable kit for sale in IT Direct (Parliment Street, Dublin) www.itdirect.ie

DSL-604G+ D-Link ADSL DSL-604G+ Router with Wireless LAN Access & Built in 4 port switch. Supports IP Routing, Transparent Bridge, Internet Gateway Functions (e200)

DWL-520+ D-Link Wireless PCI Card 32bit 22MBPS + external antenna (e65)

DWL-650+ D-Link Wireless PCMCIA Card 32 Bit 22MB (e65)

ive already got the two cards for my desktop and laptop and am waiting for the router to arrive,

the good thing with the adsl router/access point is you dont need a seperate adsl modem / wireless connection it does it all for you and the router is pretty easy to configure. you can just have it setup wherever the connecton comes into the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

you will need a WiFi router here is one and then you will need a WiFi card for your laptop and your PC which could cost you about €500 :D they should be cheaper ones out there only did a quick search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Thanks guys for the replies. Had a look at that D-Link router looks perfect. Seems easy to set up (if not I'll be back here...) I think the Wi-Fi option might be too rich for me right now, but it looks great.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Which D-Link wireless product has the ADSL modem built into it also? The 614 or the 604.. as I cant seem to figure it out from the site?

Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000087H92/qid=1054164856/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_1_8/202-1360529-7545451

Netgear ADSL modem/router/wireless/4-port hub.. Kinda pricey at £199 sterling.. But it seems to do the job (no need to leave my PC on 24/7 -- my laptop can access dsl wirelessly without the PC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

May I recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...3293109-2491854

ordered it last week, should arrive soon. It has everything an is less than €200 delivered!

hmm.. that link doesnt seem to work for me.. Is it the Linksys one? Cos I tried browsing and it said it was just wireless ready and you had to buy the card separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

this linksys is probably the router here ,http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008XYIT/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-3846856-3191035 , got it last week for about 190 euro and very pleased with it. comes with the wireless card to enable the wireless features , but have no wireless adapters so can't comment on its range. simple to set up and i got firmware off someone on boards to allow you to use xbox live with it, if you need it.

Advertisement