Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words in words

• 26-05-2003 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

Latin is the core of translating.

There is sin in all business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

On a similar note can anyone remember the term used to describe the insertion of a word, typically a swear word, into a polysyllabic word? E.g "fan-bloody-tastic". (I was going to make this a definition of the day, but I've forgotten the word, and only recall the definition :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Talliesin
    On a similar note can anyone remember the term used to describe the insertion of a word, typically a swear word, into a polysyllabic word? E.g "fan-bloody-tastic". (I was going to make this a definition of the day, but I've forgotten the word, and only recall the definition :()
    I think it's a tmesis.

Originally posted by sceptre
    I think it's a tmesis.
    That's the one I was trying to think of, though there's apparantly some dispute on whether it correctly matches that definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

tmesis is the separation of a compound word by one or more intervening words, like, um.... when it is ever instead of whenever

But I think insertions such as "fan-bloody-tastic" could be cited as idiomatic tmesis, I suppose

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    But I think insertions such as "fan-bloody-tastic" could be cited as idiomatic tmesis, I suppose

Whether it can or not is a matter of some controversy, as I noted when I used it as a definition of the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement