Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protests during Traditional 'gay' Wedding

• 26-05-2003 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭

I came across an article in the independent today that reported how a "gay activist has a traditional wedding, complete with bridesmaids, flower girls and wedding cake". The ceremony took place for a well known Irish gay activist and his long term partner in New York recently.

"the wedding was witnessed by hundreds of well wishers and others although none of the Irish activists' family attended. "

The reporter also noted that during the ceremony "anti-gay groupes protested outside."

In this day and age I find this (the protests) unacceptable. So what if two consenting adults decide to celebrate their mutual love for eachother in a church and even better that it is blessed by a clergy member. If that is their wish, then so be it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Depends what you mean by "anti-gay groups". I agree with you in principle - if two people who love each other decide to perform a ceremony which they consider important to celebrate that love, then it's pretty appalling behaviour for people to protest against it.... But then again, what church actually recognises gay marriage these days? This is presumably a member of the clergy acting against the strictures of his own organised religion, and I guess in ways, other members of that faith have a right to protest against his unilateral action.

I mean, what it boils down to is that at the end of the day, organised religion sucks... Personally I can't understand the desire of a homosexual couple to see their union "blessed" by a rogue priest in a faith which preaches against their way of life, but hey, to each their own.

(I'm not railing against the concept of gay life partners or any of that before someone starts - I know a fair few gay couples who have exchanged rings and presumably their own personal vows, and I think that's fantastic in exactly the same way that I usually think it's great when straight couples I know get engaged or tie the knot. Hmm... More so, actually - I think I have a higher hitrate of approving of my gay friends' liasons than of my straight friends' :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

each to thier own

Advertisement