Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpyBot - Search & Destroy 1.2. Do you find this good?

Options
  • 26-05-2003 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

SpyBot - Search & Destroy 1.2

Is this good in it's class of s/w ? ie Is adware more effective? I have just been using this for a few days and (despite an ugly f/end) it is very fast and updates are easy to get. Or does Adware do a more complete job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Yup, I use it and Ad-aware, it catches stuff Ad-aware doesn't and vice versa. I would advise having both installed, both do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by MrBigglesworth
    Yup, I use it and Ad-aware, it catches stuff Ad-aware doesn't and vice versa. I would advise having both installed, both do a great job.

good call MrBigglesworth that is the same setup what i have, they find some ammount of stuff on your pc that is spyware. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I find that Spybot used to delete my boards.ie and other sites cookies.

On my home computer which i only use i like to leave some of the sites with user name and passwords logged in.

Adaware doesnt do that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

where can i download these applications from? im concerned BIG time about spyware, seems everytime i surf the net SOMETHING downlads in the background and i HATE having to search and destroy myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

seems everytime i surf the net SOMETHING downlads in the background

Get javacools spywareblaster. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    It blocks known spyware activx downloads.
    I have this, Spybot, and adaware installed, but as long as I keep spywareblaster updated there's very little for spybot and adaware to do.
    I find that Spybot used to delete my boards.ie and other sites cookies.

look through its advanced settings and you can exclude any cookies that you dont want to delete.
    it also has the facility to block homepage hijackers, and to put known ad/spyware sites into your local hosts file, thereby sparing you bandwidth (important for 56k and isdn users) and meaning less crap geting onto your machine.
    Adaware does this too afaik, but only in its "premium" i.e. non free version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks for the opinions. Looks like a combo go down well. I got Spybot and Adaware6. I came up with alerts on both... one after the other. System cleaned for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Have to say, Ad-aware saved my pc from a format/re-install procedure. I had zonealarm on and I'm usually not the type to be installing Gator or that stupid **** purple monkey. But when I'd log in to Win2k the cpu would go nuts. 100 percenting. Couldn't figure it out as the services in question were normal w2k services.

Ran ad-aware and problem solved. I think some spyware was freaking out cos it couldn't report back to MaStor because of the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Like above I have both.

I also have hostesss it is a little program for editing your hosts file on your pc. (Still using W98se here).

That along with apache running on my machine, My browser never gets to visit any of the 'advertisement sites' I have choosen to block instead it loads up my customized 404 html page which i have put a selection of links to my favourite sites.

Alternatively you could have a banner rotation runing localy that would replace the banners you don't want to see with the banners you do.

Their is lots of software (freeware/shareware/you pay for it) to stop cookies, pop ups/under etc. But you don't need them with IE6 (and IE5.5 addons) with your 'hosts' file and reversing the "zones" i.e. put 'internet' settings high or the same as the restricted zone. For sites like boards.ie that you trust and want to allow them to set cookies you put them in your trusted zone.

More hosts file tools here

Some News from Silicon.com: IE6 is the 'last stand-alone browser'

Advertisement