Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush strikes again

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Now that's not really fair - I'm sure bonkey knows who his parents are

LOL. All hail JC, our god!
    I've got a better one for you - there is currently a case in the states being taken by a GM company against a farmer whose non-GM crop was cross-pollinated by their test field crop. I kid you not, he's being sued for theft of intellectual property...
    Where were you when Man and Meh were trying to take my arguments to this effect apart LOL??!?

Originally posted by Victor
    However, by selling seed that is dependant on a certain fertilizer (so the company can control, or should I say tax, the crops) or crops designed to be tolerant to a specific weedkiller (so the company can sell the weedkiller, or should I say tax the crops) or companies who patent a seed and demand royalties for the use of that seed (the farmer will never own his own seeds). That is dangerous, small farmers in africa will be dependant on international companies to even exist on a subsistance level.
    Well If you ask any small tillage farmer in Ireland,they will tell you that they have been dependant on foreign and U.S chemicals for years ( in much better growing conditions than Africa ) and aren't complaining about that.
    Indeed since the closure of IFI here, most of the fertiliser here is imported.
    Production of that here was ineffecient.
    There is also the other issue though and that is, the reward/incentive for the inventors of any product including GM.
    If the conditions of sale imposed on Africa were any different to other parts of the world then I would be complaining.
    Aid agencies and governments could try to fund and source non GM seeds and have them sown, all at a cost either to , benevolent foreign countries or to the African Farmer.
    Given the current extreme conditions, it's the foreign governments/agencies that will have to kick start that process.
    If there are no benovelent foreign governments, well thats an indictment on those countries.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    LOL. All hail JC, our god!

Its the initials....isnt it......

jc

Advertisement