Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom in the news today...

Options
  • 27-05-2003 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

An article in the city living section of the irish indo today about Pirate radio/Phantom. It's about the closure of the all the pirates last week and centers then on Phantom FM, with Pete Reed talking about Phantom and how it is run etc. He does mention that Phantom will be back on the airwaves soon.. Yay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 romey

yeh! god i hope so i found myself humming to some britney song today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dear lord deliver me from the crap hole of dreadful,mindless,conformist pop that exists outside the wonderful world of phantom!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

Yep good article, but they called the BCI the IBC oh well. the
    trail of the article on page 3 was like out of the book 'radio radio' which all trainee journos cover in college.

If you miss Phantom on the Radio and P-Rock on the TV and lisdoon has been cancelled then go to a peer to peer music swapping service and download the Phantom A list - dropkick murphys & christy moore, turn the stereo up to 10 and chant comreg doyle **** etc. in the direction of the Irish Life Mall Talbot Street Dublin 1.

bfn bhg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

tiny article in the irish times too.
    no mention of phantom but...
    the basic gist of the article is:

Dermot Ahern (communications minister) is considering reform of the licensing regime for local radio. He hopes to review the system (using an independent firm of management consultants) before the BCI re-establishes next year as the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.
    Basically the review will look at appealing decisions, accountability and the costs around applications.
    The failure to award a new licence to Radio Kilkenny (long established etc) has been very unpopular. Also redrawing of boundaries have split the catchment area of CKR too.
    The minister said while not wanting to criticise the BCI, he felt a reconsideration of the regime was timely.
    The new BAI (broadcasting authority of ireland) will replace the BCI with wider remit including responsibility for RTE.

All in all, the above could be seen as a step in the right direction, accountability wise etc... but as with a lot of these things... it all depends on how much of it is enforced. We shall see I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the Indo had a big picture of pete reed's fine self workin' away in the phantom studio.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 egg_

Anyone care to scan the articles and post em?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

had a chat with friends of mine about this yesterday. my friends was telling us about her bro, whp's very upset over the loss of phantom, and we all got chatting about it. one of my friends said phantom will never get the liscence because when the commitee are reviewing the stations for liscense, they wont pick any whose type of music isn't already catered for by another station, and she reckons spin fm will block phanotm's chances.

what do you think of that? i wasnt impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Can't imagine Spin playing the Tycho Brahe or Turbo Negro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 egg_

Wait a sec - wasn't Spin specifically set up as a dance music station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 perkythepig

That's what I thought too - but my cynical self would imagine that the commercial heads in Spin would say anything they could to protect their listenership levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

The news articles can be found at http://www.radiowaves.fm/news/index.shtml

THey are on the side. underneath the section on the side called where are my favourite stations gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Pearl
    Can't imagine Spin playing the Tycho Brahe or Turbo Negro.

exactly
    thats what i said to my friend
    i dont know anything about spin fm, as ive never listened, but as far as the other people around me were concerned, it does no cut the mustard in comparison to phantom, and its not erven somehting u could put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Spin is so anoying its no dance station they play melaton 4 fúck sake.

Man I'm pist off with all this crap!

They should just give phanotm a lisence what harm would it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh comReg is really f***** things up, but i have to say something positive has come from the closure (temporary) of phantom - internet radio. it's real good! Right now i'm listening to a punk station from l.a. ! I never listened to radio online before phantom on Sunday see

Advertisement