Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whelo: The New Dublin Captain

• 27-05-2003 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

I think I heard on the radio this morning that Ciaran Whelan has been announced as the new Captain for the Dubs. Must say that for some reason I prefer the captain to be a midfielder, as it is the best position for getting a grip of a game and leading by example. I am not sure about Whelo as a choice. On his day he is the best midfielder in the country, but he does not have rhose good days often enough for my likings. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of his but when he is not at his best he can go missing for long periods of games, and this is not a good trait in a captain.

Anyway let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

ah its a great decision. Tis true he is no where near paddy christy for reliability but hes an inspiration to others when all guns are blazing.

Plus I think this will help him raise his game a little.
    Good call by tommy, I have for once faith in the dublin manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

true he does have a tendency to go missing during matchs but by giving him the captaincy it might give him the extra vavvavoom!!

just a shame that its not a roscommon man captaining tem like lastyear:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Goggins is not a Roscommon man. He is form Balinteer in Dublin. I knew his brother in school.

yeah well he used to play for strokestown in roscommoon so obviuosly he is a wannabe rossie,seemingly its the best way to get playing for dunlin,make your way playing down the country i.e. d'arcy,o donoghoe etc.:p

I didn't know that, maybe it was cousins of his I knew. They looked alike and all played for the same Club ( Ballinteer St Johns ) so I assumed they were brothers.

• Advertisement

yeah well he only played with them briefly to be honest im not sure if he even played senior for them,think maybe his father is from stown or something,remember hearing him speak about it on breaking ball one night but my mind has drew a blank to what he said

I hav met a few "rossies" in my time (that is what roscommoners like to call themselves.)

Irelands biggest name droppers. if someone even passes through the county he is from there. jausys.

Kerry people are almost as bad but not quite

I dunno Al, those Kerry folk tried to take Vinnie Murphy off us at one stage.

yeah well you know what they say about elephants never forgetting,roscommon is only santuary for endangered elephants...so corkery will be made feel welcome on saturday!!
    were not name droppers really,we have been glad to get rid of most of the player

getting directly back on topic, excellent dispaly by whelan
    on Sunday..Im looking forward to a long summer of football not ending till the third week in September.

C'mon the dubs

• Advertisement

Yeah a very good performance by Whelo, nearly topped of with a goal of the season. Fckin crossbar. Who tipped Louth to win that game ?

Advertisement