Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU members and the €uro

Options
  • 27-05-2003 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

will any of the new EU memebrs joining next year become €urozone members shortly after?

Or are their economies in a shambles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

AFAIK,

thay have to meet certain requirments first like we did, but i think one or two are eligable to join the Euro.

or was it that one of the requirments for joing the EU was to have the Euro straight away......

Argh!! i can't remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Most of them won't join before 2010. The currently only country who would like to join earlier (2004) is Hungary, but they got already the information that it won't be before 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dmeehan
    will any of the new EU memebrs joining next year become €urozone members shortly after?
    It will take time. For example a loaf of bread in Ireland costs about €1, in Poland it costs €0.25 and many other items are in similar proportion (some high value transportable items like say CDs would be much closer). If Poland immediatly joined the Euro, you would either be dealing with overnight hyper-inflation as the exchange rate is changed or gradual hyper-inflation over a year or two where everyone would be buying Polish products.
    Originally posted by dmeehan
    Or are their economies in a shambles?
    Not necessarily, many of the ones that touch the EU already are doing quite well, GNP in parts of the Czech republic are above the EU average (this is artificial, because of the border).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

will the euro coins be changing next year to show a map of 25 members instead of the 15 on coins now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I doubt it!

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement