Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM - To cheat or not to cheat?

Options
  • 27-05-2003 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

I've made several attempts at playing Championship Manager without cheating, I never get very far. I will always end up taking over other clubs and getting them to sell me their players and stuff like that.

Most of my friends tut-tut at this carry-on so I'm just trying to find out is there anyone else out there who cheats at CM or is the world full of purists?

Do you cheat at CM? 37 votes

Cheating is good
    0% 0 votes
    No, I'm a purist
    13% 5 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    86% 32 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I haven't played CM4 much, but in CM3 i didn't ever cheat unless i was just messing about, removes the fun.

Having said that, i never really picked any team to play that was a major challenge. Most of the time i'd get bored after about a season and start a new game. The longest i stuck with a single game was playing as Newcastle, after 10 seasons i had won the league 6 times in a row, the CL twice, the FA cup 3 times, UEFA once and league cup twice. It was pretty easy starting out in a top level club; buy Joe Cole, Jermaine Defoe and co and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

the challenge is playing as a small club with no money, not just playing as Man U and buying the same 3 or 4 players and playing 4-3-1-2 every game..

Thats like playing a console game on very easy, and then moaning its too short, and not a challenge :)

(On topic, if Im doing a test here in the office I cheat like ****, if Im playing a real game for myself I dont ever cheat.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

cheating as in using cheats ? once u use cheats on a ame, u will never play that game again.
    for me

GTA 1, 2
    MaxPayne
    Metalgear solid
    list goes on.

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    the challenge is playing as a small club with no money, not just playing as Man U and buying the same 3 or 4 players and playing 4-3-1-2 every game..

Thats like playing a console game on very easy, and then moaning its too short, and not a challenge :)

(On topic, if Im doing a test here in the office I cheat like ****, if Im playing a real game for myself I dont ever cheat.)
    heh, i used to always play 4-1-3-2 (DMC, 3 MC). Having an AMC and no DMC just looked too weak at the back for my tastes. Mind you, i can't do defence in CM to save my life :)

Getting Hull to the premiership playing 4-2-4 - my only achievement in CM of any note. Usually i'd get bored with players i'd never heard of before long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

My Claim To Fame
    Rushden & Diamonds
    Season 1:- Won Div three on Goal Diff
    Season 2:- Ran Away with Division 2
    Season 3:- Finished 4th in D1, won playoffs, League Cup Semi Final
    Season 4:- Finished 14th in Prem
    Season 5:- Finished 14th in Prem, won FA Cup,
    Season 6:- Finished 7th in Prem, Lost Charity Shield
    Season 7:- Finished 8th in Prem, won League Cup, Uefa Cup Quarter Finalists.
    Season 8:- Won Premier, Lost in UEFA Cup Final
    Season 9:- 3rd Premier, Champ League Quarter Final, Won Charity Shield, FA Cup Quarter Final, Lost in League Cup Final.

No Cheatin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

yay. i just threw in the towel and voted my first atari jaguar vote. I see a considerable amount of others have done the same.

Well i guess that just shows how wonk this poll is.
    wonk wonk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Right my mate robbie with no cheats. Won the league and got a 50,000 seater staidium..........

With

CORK CITY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf

CORK CITY! :D
    Do you mind me asking how much of the 50,000 capacity you were actualy able to fill? Also, Irish league or Champions league?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

pete it will be **** all :)

It will end up costing that chap money by the bucket load to maintain the empty stadium!

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    It will end up costing that chap money by the bucket load to maintain the empty stadium!
    Maybe he can sublet it for Gaa and Munster matches. Should generate a bit more interest than seeing Cork City entertain Merthyr Tydfill in the qualifiers to get into the intertoto cup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

With CM3 I don't know why anyone would consider cheating with a bit of fecking around some smart transfer dealing and a bit of smarts the game was quite easy after awhile. That didn't make it any less fun plus you could crazy fun things my best was winning the premiership and chmapions league with Brenford (not quite Rushden and Diamonds but still).

Now CM4 is a different kettle of fish I've found it hard, very hard in fact I've been sacked, I've finished in 14th after finished 4th the season before, I've lost 7-0 in the league as a premierhsip side I've been beaten 3-0 by Q.P. ****ing R. As Valentia I've finished in 8th in the Spanish league (they sacked me too)

For the first ages I was utterly frustrated by the game and I must admit I considered cheating just to get the old fun back.

It was at this stage I decided to bite the bullet and get to grips with training. I'd taken one look at it,one look at the manual and decided it wasn't for me at all at all. ****ing bewildering to say the least (bring me the head of Ray Houghton!). But after you try with it for awhile it really is very rewarding creating good training schedules and watching it's effect on your team.

I saw my stuttering West Ham team in it's second season go from relagation spots to finish the season in 5th (missing out on Champs League on goal difference :mad:) after introducing seperate training regimes for forwards,mids and defenders concentrating on the appropriate skills for each (keeping full team stuff like training matches at the same time in each sched.) and assigning appropriate coaches (cautious to defs, adventurous to attackers, Ludek Miklosko to goalkeepers).

Anyways don't cheat! Have a go at training it's the new 4-3-1-2 with Ronaldinho in the hole with forward runs, run with the ball, and try through balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

442 Very attacking does it for me. Three seasons at liverpool and eventually got ballack and Zidane, now I am in a bidding war for Ronaldo. It is alot harder to buy players in 4 and it is also alot harder to cheat even if you wanted to. Myself and a mate played a game and when I tried to get Silvestre from him as a swap deal with a few quid, he would not come. Because the players have been set to ove or hate particular teams and management peeps, it is sometimes v hard to buy players even if their team is willing to let them go.

The only cheat I did do was to change Neil Mellor for my son. And what a cracking little player he is turning out to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Placebo
    cheating as in using cheats ? once u use cheats on a ame, u will never play that game again.
    for me

GTA 1, 2
    MaxPayne
    Metalgear solid
    list goes on.

yeah cheating does pretty much ruin games. I normally play the full game through and then juts for a laugh i use the "fun" cheats and other ones when i playing it again.

3 questions:

is it possible to complain about a ref after a game in 4? i cant find the option anywhere.

and why is that when clubs have recievers called in and they are supposed to accept reasonable offers, they always demand ludicrous money? this happened to Notts Co, so i offered 26 grand for a player worth 26 grand. they came back and demanded 750000 pounds AND one of my players in exchange. bloody ridiculous, its like Man utd going into bankrupcy and demanding three quarters of a billion for van nistelrooy

and why are my defenders so retarded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I use that cheat which allows you to change the amount you offer once its accepted initially - only use it when a club is taking the piss though , like when I went after a good young striker to stick em in the reserves for a while and they asked 5 million for him when his value was only 65k according to his profile.

They got 65k and were glad of it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I don't see the point in cheating in CM. The game is all about your ability to manage a team and if you suck, then you suck ;-) Cheating won't help you get better.

Altho i need to find a save game editor to change my DOB in the game! I'm not 35 frickin' years old ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

No you cant complain about the refs...its been taken out. Dont know why actually. i liked that feature...

CM4 is not hard. If you pay attention to your tactics and search around for players, its not hard. I wish it was harder to be honest.

In my first season, i won the league cup too and came 6'th in the league.

In my second season, i won nothing and came fifth in the league.

In my third season, i bought Ronaldinho, Duff and Rooney and Maresca, jorgenson and Andy Van De Mayde(or something like that, from Ajax)...what a flop. I tried getting a player with similar qualities to Beckham and he is ****... And a few more, but there the big names. I spent 71.2 million(buying them over 24 months) in my third season and sold no players except Defoe for the minimun fee release to Boro.

Im now incredibly in Debt, 160,000 over my wage budget but the board are delighted with my performance. Im first in the league by 5 points. knocked out of 5'th round fa cup this season to Bolton(1-0), lost the league cup to Preston in semi's(2-1) and am in the semi's of Uefa against Lazio. Basically i will probably go into receivership if i dont win the league and the Uefa. The board are concerned that rumours about the clubs financial situation will affect the morale of the team...were winning so there all superb.

Btw Utd are doing terrible in my game. Ferguson and Rijkard got sacked. The best they came was 6'th i think. There buying all these weird players like Cris and Pauleta...nothing major...if i get out of Debt and become a dominating force...ill call it a day and manage Brazil insteas..but ye West Ham is good fun.

i think we all know what my favourite game is...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Its not really possible to cheat properly with CM4.
    I think there's a programmes somewhere that allows you to give your team a huge transfer budget, saw it mentioned on the sigames forums.

I've found that the basic 4-4-2 with attacking wingers works fine.
    2 big strong centre backs with good marking and heading, two speedy corner backs with good workrate and dribbling
    1 creative passing midfielder, 1 big strong tackling def mid in the centre of the field,

then your wingers should have good dribbling and crossing

Tactics wise, when I'm away from home I always play counter attack with direct passing, I've quick strikers and good passers/crossers in midfield so get lots of goals on the break,
    When at home I play short passing.

Have a look at what each of your players is good at, balance up the weaknesses by playing to your strenghths, like playing "down both flanks" if your wingers are a class above your central midfielders.

I also found that putting your centrebacks on short passing to the flanks means they don't try long balls when they don't have great passing, instead they pass to more creative fullbacks and midfielders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Its pretty easy to cheat in CM4 if you want to. You can either use the bidding and backspacing bug to get players for nothing (dunno the proper name for it) or just take over rival clubs and sell their best players to yourself for nothing and their mediocore players to foreign clubs for peanuts. Not to mention spending their entire transfer budgets on your own team's u19 / reserve squad to keep your clubs balancesheet looking nice :)

I like it anyway. Its crashed a couple of times when saving games (which I havnt liked) but apart from that its been bugfree and funish.

Originally posted by richindub2
    Its pretty easy to cheat in CM4 if you want to. You can either use the bidding and backspacing bug to get players for nothing (dunno the proper name for it) or just take over rival clubs and sell their best players to yourself for nothing and their mediocore players to foreign clubs for peanuts. Not to mention spending their entire transfer budgets on your own team's u19 / reserve squad to keep your clubs balancesheet looking nice
    Thats sounds amazingly like how I play CM. Haven't played CM4 yet though - I'm kind of afraid I'll be unable to switch it off for several weeks. I can picture the eyestrain now:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Why someone would want to cheat in CM is beyond me. I mean you bought it cos its for the realism( i mean those who cheat would have more fun playing TCM or some ****). Seriously, youd just end up being bored.

Originally posted by 50Cent
    Why someone would want to cheat in CM is beyond me. I mean you bought it cos its for the realism( i mean those who cheat would have more fun playing TCM or some ****). Seriously, youd just end up being bored.
    I've spent days and weeks playing games of CM where I am cheating. It does get boring eventually but doesn't everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by p.pete
    I've spent days and weeks playing games of CM where I am cheating. It does get boring eventually but doesn't everything?

The beauty of CM is finding a youth player for 40k and turning him into a 25million player.
    Or the day after scrimping and buying bargain players, you finally manage to sign a big name international.....

when you cheat by starting off with a team of perfect players, it kinda takes away this whole aspect of the game....

Originally posted by sykeirl
    The beauty of CM is finding a youth player for 40k and turning him into a 25million player.
    It's cool if you use the editor because you can design a youth player and give him bags of future potential - gauranteed success.

It's cool if you use the editor because you can design a youth player and give him bags of future potential - gauranteed success.

Again you miss the key word of a sentence.

This time its finding. :rolleyes:

Again you miss the key word of a sentence.

This time its finding. :rolleyes:
    And after starting god knows how many games you don't know who the good youth players to buy are? We all end up with our favourites and try to buy them everytime - same players bought into a different club.

And after starting god knows how many games you don't know who the good youth players to buy are? We all end up with our favourites and try to buy them everytime - same players bought into a different club.

Ok, I'm trying hard to make a coherent sentence from that.....

nope..... :)

Ok, I'm trying hard to make a coherent sentence from that.....

nope..... :)
    I'll try again, sorry for not joining the dots for you:confused:
    When you start more than one or two games of the same version of CM, you start to notice youth players who will always turn out good after a few years.

Then when you start a new game, you will most likely buy a lot of the same youth players that you noticed were good from previous games.

Thus the "same players bought into a different club" remark, i.e. you are starting a new game with a different club but you will buy a lot of the same players.

I'll try again, sorry for not joining the dots for you:confused:
    When you start more than one or two games of the same version of CM, you start to notice youth players who will always turn out good after a few years.

Then when you start a new game, you will most likely buy a lot of the same youth players that you noticed were good from previous games.

Thus the "same players bought into a different club" remark, i.e. you are starting a new game with a different club but you will buy a lot of the same players.

Ahhh....

Well see thi sonly works if you pick a big name clubs all the time.

Try starting with Liverpool and going after players....not much problem.

Now, start as say, Nottm Forest or Milwall..... see how many of the same players want to play for your club.

You always get one or two, but by and large the reputation of your club and your wage budget and your transfer kitty dictates who you can go after....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Maybe you would.

But if you're playing the game properly you'll always notice a few new good ones during the course of a few seasons and take a chance on them.

I'd imagine it's going to get a little boring buying Kallstrom and Farnerud every game just like it did buying Leon Knight, Nikiforenko, Bakircioglu, Bjornstat Hagen, To Madeira etc. in previous versions.

Advertisement