Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's munster defence

• 27-05-2003 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Just the one game left after sunday. :)

merlante

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Clare have just hammered who i thought were the best team in Munster, so to my mind they would have to be new favourites for the title. This probably means Cork will take them over the weekend. For some reason I cannot see Waterford successfully defend their title. But it is quite close between all four counties left in it. However kilkenny should win the ALL Ireland title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

League form means nothing. Some teams have a large enough panel to do both, teams like Clare and Waterford don't. That doesn't mean they don't kick ass in the championship!

To be honest, I'd be more worried about Limerick beating Waterford than Clare. I don't see Clare playing like they did in the Tipp. match again. Waterford have been looking good since a whole raft of players have come back from injury and suspension toward the end of the league. And Mullane will be back for the match too.

Provided we don't have any more injuries I think Waterford have the talent and now the experience to win the munster again this year, and hopefully go further.

The game with Limerick will be a cracker though I reckon.

merlante

I never mentioned the league. I think you are forgetting that Clare were last years beaten All Ireland finalists. Their defence is top class, although Seanie is missing for the Cork game. If their forwards can maintain a bit of form they will give anyone a good game. I think Limerick will beat Waterford this weekend and meet Clare in the final as they will overcome Cork. However, there have been no shortage of surprises in either championship this season so who can tell.

I'm surprised you are so sure about Limerick; I mean they did nothing in the championship last year or in the league. I know Limerick have had success at under 21 level for the past few years but there's a lot of ground to make up, and afterall, Waterford are the munster champions with more all-stars from 2002 than anyone else aside from Kilkenny.

I think Clare were lucky to get as far as they did last year. They just kind of survived and managed to edge out better teams, imo, such as Waterford and Galway. I think either of those two teams, or Tipperary, would have given Kilkenny a much better run for their money.

merlante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

can someone tell me where the waterford / limerick match is on?
    I checked gaa.ie but there was no mention of a venue.

Pluse I think Limerick are in with a good chance of beating Waterford. It's a fresh new team with a new trainer.

Obviously still not good enough to beat Cork though ;)

• Advertisement

I am not sure about it , I just have a feeling that Limerick will win. I also think it is a foolish man who underestimates the banner. I do not thhink there is a team in the country who would have run Kilkenny that much closer on the day of the final last year. If I remember correctly Clare did not play that poorly, Kilkenny just played very well.

I wouldn't rule out the banner at all. They're a dangerous outfit, in that they win a fair amount of games as underdogs and they can really shut teams down.

I think that Clare's style of play is to take control and stifle the other team's game as much as possible. That wasn't going to work against Kilkenny; I think you need to be scoring all the time to beat them and I reckon the likes of Tipp. and Waterford are higher scoring teams with more prolific forward lines, which would have given them a better shout I reckon.

merlante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by flyz
    can someone tell me where the waterford / limerick match is on?

Thurles

is it true that RTÉ aren't going to show the game. i heard it this morning. it is something about no place for the television cameras. my mother is worried because she doesn't like going to games because of the crowds and doesn't like that muppet Kieran O Connor on WLR

Score: Draw, 4-13 a piece.

We were robbed!

The carlow referee had no control over the game; should have been a win for Waterford. An epic game though, Limerick played excelently as well.

I think Waterford will come through next week. It's a shame that the match was not televised.

merlante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

yes kieran o connor is a muppet. tries to plug glanbia at every opportunity.."there's paul flynn..socks down around his ankles, i think he's been at the Gain Feeds over the winter" etc...

can anyone confirm where the replay is on? I know Thurles at 6.15 was said very soon after the game but apparently páirc uí chaoimh and even killarney are being mentioned now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by merlante

I think Waterford will come through next week. It's a shame that the match was not televised.

merlante

You might be a little optimistic there - the extra game will suit the young Limerick lads more than the Waterford team. In fact, the whole Limerck team seemed to hit their stride a lot more in the second half on sunday. Should be another cracker though.

You might be a little optimistic there - the extra game will suit the young Limerick lads more than the Waterford team. In fact, the whole Limerck team seemed to hit their stride a lot more in the second half on sunday. Should be another cracker though.

Well you have to be optimistic. :) Still even though the extra game might suit Limerick there'll be one or two players missing for the leaving cert., including Shaughnessy, who was a major asset to Limerick at the weekend.

If Waterford play as well as they did on sunday, I think they will win. The replay will be less chaotic with a proper referee, so there will be no excuses either way.

merlante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

You were right - we really missed Shaughnessy. However, Waterford will have a lot of improving to do if they want to beat those Cork f*ckers. Paul Flynn can't carry that team on his own in a Munster Final.

Advertisement