Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mods

Options
  • 27-05-2003 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

which are the best websites for modding?

Im looking to spend about €2500 modding a 1999 astra 3 door club 1.4, silver.

can i go to 17" alloys without loosing full lock and without having to put on lo-profile lires?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

you can go to 17 inch alloys alright.

But if you increase the size of the wheel you have to reduce the height of the sidewall. otherwise you'll increase you're wheel's circumference which will raise your gearing and make the speedo inaccurate.

but the profile as expressed on the sidewall of the tire is a percentage of the tires width. as a general rule of thumb, for every inch you increase in wheel size you drop ten percent in profile, but this assumes a standard width wheel. if you widen the wheel I'm not sure how this rule holds.

There are others here with more knowledge than me though. but your best bet is to talk to an alloys/tires place.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Another thing to consider with getting different wheels is the wheel offset - the distance between the centre of the tyre and the hub - you'll need to keep this the same or you'll shag up the steering geometry.

If you go with bigger wheels, you'll have to get lower profile tyres like johnboy said. This is going to affect ride quality - it'll be less comfortable on lower profile tyres.

Best thing to do would be visit a good tyre fitter, and ask their advice on fitting new wheels.

You'll also have to report the extent of any modifications you carry out to your insurer, or your policy will be invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

really?

I was lead to believe that if i crashed i just wouldnt be able to claim for the modifications.

Advertisement