Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any C&C General Fans Out There!?

• 27-05-2003 7:30pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Didn't think I'd actually like the damn game, but hey, it's great fun... Been playing the skirmishes a lot lately and funnily enough I enjoy that more than any of the actual mission runs, and then the fatal thing happened...

Noticed the C&C Map Creating Tool...

Going to dig into it at some stage now that I have the long weekend off, and try and have a map or two for the good ole Galway Lan...

Any other people unfortunate enough to have found the program!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I think a lot of people (myself included) started on Worldbuilder long before attempting the campaigns.
    My time spent playing Generals would be approx: 5% campaigns, 25% Multiplayer, 70% Worldbuilder.
    I made a few crazy maps and a new single-player campaign. It's a great editor for trying out ideas quickly, I could play with the click and drag terraforming for ages.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well as I said, I never really expected to like the game... I enjoyed the first few versions, but like most things, their grip on you slowly fades away with over-usage... Yet Im drawn to any game with editing facilities, and seeing as the one in question isn't TOO far off the mark of Editers like the old StarCraft one (Which I still enjoy using from time to time in order to make RPG's and such) I'll most definately give this one a go...

Got any tips / links / files that could be useful for any other hapless editors who might stumble across this feature, Sir Random?

For map making, I used the flatten tool to create large raised areas and finished off with the finer tools. A lot of trial and error is needed.

There are some crucial elements needed for a map to work as a skirmish map.

When you've designed your map,
    1. With the waypoint tool, create a start_point for each player (2-8)
    2. Place a supply dump or crates near each start_point (but not too near the blue map border)
    3. With the polygon tool, create an inner base and outer base for each player (inner_base1, inner_base2 etc).
    4. Create a polygon that covers all neutral territory between both outer_bases and name it combat_zone.
    5. Create a polygon that covers the whole map and name it skirmish_zone.

Note: the inner_bases must be large enough for the AI to build all buildings. If the AI stops after building one or two buildings, the zone is too small.

Zone functions: Entering outer zone alerts enemy AI. Entering inner zone triggers all AI units to defend.

You can then add waypoint paths for patrols (a simple script will assign a unit or team to follow a path). Villagers walking around a market looks good (with some suicide bombers mixed in)

I'll upload the map I made with source files etc. if anyone wants to look at it. It's a bit buggy but has dozens of scripts with descriptive names that should be easy to read through.

Nearly forgot, to make maps playable in skirmish mode, you also need to add the following waypoint paths:
    3 seperate paths from inside inner_base1 to inside inner_base2
    They should be named: center1, flank1 & backdoor1. You also need 3 opposite paths for player2.
    The AI needs these paths to launch attacks.

A good place for help is CNCMatrix
    http://forums.cncmatrix.com/viewforum.php?f=5

I uploaded my map. There are 2 versions, not sure which is which so both are included (I made it months ago but never got it to publishing standard).
    http://www.handspun.ie/rzr/ccmaps.zip
    Unzip both folders into
    C:\My Documents\C&CGenerals data\maps\
    They'll appear in the skirmish menu but there's no point in selecting teams as they are preset to China vs GLA. In Worldbuilder, you can see the zones and view the scripts for the intro etc.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Thanks for the contribution Sir Random...
    Do you have any idea of link to other ready made unnoficial maps and such, or even other full tutorials?

I wouldn't say C&C World Builder would be widely used by this community, but it'd be handy to have a nice and chunky storage of info for those very few who might (JUST MIGHT) start asking questions :)

Dug into it myself for half an hour - Made a very small layout on an icey map and got a good bit of stuff designed, then I discovered I had built outside of the world limit (Some big orange and blue box in the middle of the map world)...

I love skirmishes so if I get a few extra tutorials and such I'll give it a go when I've more time on my hands...

Thanks again Random.

• Advertisement
Advertisement