Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80mm fan from PSU question

Options
  • 27-05-2003 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Alright, i finished my exams today (3rd year Comp Sys, yeah me :D ) and i decided to tidy my room. In the midst of doing so i found my old PSU (250w) and i noticed a whopping great fan, and a nice fan grill on it. It used to blow down in the PC, i think.

Anywho, i pulled the PSU appart with great precision (Large rock from second story building;) kidding) and the fan was attached to the PSU circuit board with a Two pin plug. (i mean ports for the pins from the circuit board)

Question, can i possibly stick this on to my MoBo

heres the only info on the fan (nicely left on the sticker in th emiddle of the fan)

Adda Corp AD0912MS-A70GL.

DC 12v, .27A

Ive tried google, but nada
    I dont have access to a Digital Camera to post a pic of the plug, sorry, but its very similar to the three pin type.

Any advice, can i use this thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

The thing's only a fan, and as it's only drawing 270mA there should no problem running it off the motherboard.

However, you'll need to change the plug for the proper three-pin type you get on mobo headers (the third - middle - pin is speed monitoring; it's an optional extra, so don't worry that yours doesn't have it). These can be got from the likes of Radionics, or perhaps Maplin or Peats.

An easier alternative is to get a Y-Splitter (either for floppy or hard disk/CD-rom type connectors) from your component supplier of choice (Komplett, for example: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=894&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&s=sr) and cut off one of the outputs, connecting the fan wires to the now bare wires off one end (with suitable insulation, and maybe a terminal block or at least something neat). Remember: Yellow = +12V, and the black next to it is the - terminal for that supply, although you can use either black. Also, fan motors only turn one way, so check that you've got your polarity (+/-) right.

Since your fan doesn't provide speed monitoring, this is probably the best option for as it doesn't bodge anything you can't disconnect and throw away (i.e. the Y-splitter) if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

and to add something in addition: If the fan is to loud, try to run it on five or seven volts. Most fans will do and it is one of the easiest ways to get them quieter.
    If you are up to electronics you can try this (don't try it if you don't know what you doing :D )
    The easiest way to do so: I would propose get yourself a y-splitter for harddisk/CD-connector, cut off one endplug and connect the wires as follows:

The PSU-yellow one has 12Volts, the red one 5 Volts.
    Most fans plus cable is red and the ground cable is black.
    If you connect the red fan cable(+ wire) to the red 5 Volt from the power supply and the black fan cable to the nearby black power supply, your fan will run with 5 Volts.

How ever, some fans don't like it and won't start.

Then you can try to connect the red-fan cable to the yellow power supply and the black fan cable to the red power supply.

How funny this might sound, your fan will run with 7 volts and is much quieter than with 12 volts.

regards,

jow

Advertisement