Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!!Question about english

Options
  • 27-05-2003 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I consider meself a bit of an ickle JK Rowling, so i've always written fiction-style essays. Then this year my english teacher tells me not to, says they aren't marked as highly, and i get a crappy result in the mox. So should i do a boring fuddermukin' non-fiction essay in there? I always though examiners preferred short stories thought. Any opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

Heya,

I'd listen to your teacher. Your teacher knows what he or she is talking about.

However, if one of the titles you are provided with clearly leaves you with the option of writing about supernatural fiction, then do so.

Unfortunately, the leaving certificate English exam is not a short-story competition, and you won't be offered a publishing deal for writing a particularly unique and great story.

The only thing you can do is write a story that will gain high marks according to the marking-scheme.

So write a story that goes along (in an obvious way) with one of the titles/pictures you are provided with. This is the only way of gaining high marks.

The only person who will read your piece of writing is the person correcting your paper, and they don't care how great a fictional, supernatural-writing writer that you may be. They're looking for what they asked for in the question paper.

Obviously, you crave having the stories that you like writing appreciated by other people, so my advice to you would be to push that craving aside until the LC is over. Then after that, you can look into creative-writing courses, short-story competitions, etc....

But for now, all that matters is the LC.

Good luck with whatever you DO write!

C ye ;)

******Cannot wait or this bloody thing to be over!******

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

its the leaving cert, so id play things safe and go non fiction. If however, u really wanna do a short story, and the ideal title comes up, dont focus so much on the plot (sounds stupid i know, bear with me) just make sure ur language is good, do lots of descriptive writing, lots of imagery and use some cool metaphors if u can come up with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

THNQ all.....now if only i could find a way to get an a2 in hon. irish without doing any study....

Advertisement