Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iexplore temp files (purely cosmetic)

Options
  • 27-05-2003 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I use google as my home page. I have a style sheet which makes everything black. The only white spot is the GOOGLE gifs up top.

I went into the temp folder and changed them to a black background, but when I refresh the page, instead of loading these new images, they are replaced with fresh, white copies.

Anyone know how I could get around this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

The only solution I can think of is this[1]:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files Settings

Change "Check for newer versions of stored pages:" to "Never"

Of course, this will knacker your ability to use your cache properly, but you can always use Shift-Refresh to force a fetch of the document from the server rather than the cache.

[1] Actually there, is another way of getting Google to be all black. ELinks is a very good text-based browser, so all you have to do is run that on a terminal that is set to have a black background. :-) See here. Honest, I'm not taking the piss, I use it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Jeez, that looks class. It's any minimalists wet dream :)
    Thanks for that, that's one better than I'd hoped for!

I have a few programs that replace Explorer, outlook express and the task bar, with a more elegant looking LCARS interface:

http://www.bennisoft.com/index.htm

It's the interface designed for Star Trek: The next generation, but you don't have to be a trekkie to like it! There's a screenshot at the link above.

<edit>
    Just had a look for ELinks there. It seems to only be for linux (unless you want to download the source code and compile it yourself?).
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

Yeah, AFAIK ELinks is for Unix/Linux only (you can always try porting it :-)). I use it from home by sshing to netsoc.tcd.ie because it's deadly over a slow line. (And TBH most pictures on websites I read are completely superfluous)

My replacements for the programs you mentioned:
    Explorer (the GUI): Blackbox or Fluxbox
    Explorer (the file manager): xterm + tcsh :-)
    OE: Mutt (or Evolution if you must have a GUI)
    Task Bar: We don't need no steenking taskbar!

But then again, this is the MS Apps/OS Forum :-) (and I am using Win2K at the moment) I'll have a look at that page you mentioned when I'm next at a graphical browser.

Did the thingy with the turning off the refreshing the cache work like it's supposed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

You could write your own webpage to start on, and give that a black background. Just copy and paste the google search form code into your source.

Websites with black backgrounds are very Geocities! :P

Thats a good idea DBC, I'll do that. I use black as much as I can because I'm on this computer for about 12 hours a day (24/7 internet connection), so the darker the better. I like black anyway, I'm going for the Star Trek LCARS look ;)

<edit>
    No that didn't work. And I remember doing it before with my email login. I just got the two textfields for name and pwd and the Login button, and put them on my active desktop. When I clicked LOGIN, a new window was spawned which loaded my inbox.

Here, when I click search, it says the page cannot be found. I'll keep at it, maybe theres a relative address in the source that should be made absolute in this case.
    </edit>

<edit2>
    Yep, just change line 87 to this...
    "<FORM name=f action=http:\\www.google.ie\search><SPAN id=hf></SPAN>"

But the results page uses the white image :(

</edit2>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Could you make the google images in your cache read only?

That's a damn good idea. Never even thought of it! Thanks, I'll give it a try :)

Advertisement