Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile phone usage suggestion

Options
  • 27-05-2003 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently using a mobile phone increases your chances of having an accident four-fold (even handsfree it is still double).

So why not connect the mobile phone to the hazard lights - that way people behind you can back off and the cops can be on the look out for the muppets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Now. That's a good one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I personally dont see any problem with talking on your phone while driving. It might increase your chances of having an accident but so does everything else you do while in a car. Things like blinking/thinking about things/adjusting your seat/looking at hot women.

Is it illegal yet and does it apply to An Garda using their radio's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Better still wire it to the hand brake and restrict them from being used while the car is moving. Garda cars usually have two people in them, so the passenger can use the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

anyone been on a bus lately? i get a bus too and from work as theres no parling in town, In the last week theres been at least 4 bus drivers on their fones while driving , thats out of 10 bus journeys!!!!!!!!1 surely this should be looked into by gaurds ,because im sure even they raise their eyes up out of whatever time wasting activity they find for themselves long enough to look at the odd bus. Surly endangering 90-odd people in your vehicle as well as other road users should by give the same attention as some muppet on the m50 on the fone

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Surly endangering 90-odd people in your vehicle as well as other road users should by give the same attention as some muppet on the m50 on the fone
    Yes, it can be a problem, however (a) bus drivers drive for a living and generally are more capable drivers, (b) serious accidents involving buses are rare, (c) typically only the driver gets killed in a fatal bus accident, (d) buses tend to be driving a lot slower than a "muppet on the m50".

• Advertisement

so ur saying its ok to drive a bus while on the fone?

Originally posted by Stekelly
    so ur saying its ok to drive a bus while on the fone?
    No, merely that it is less dangerous. I do not approve of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by Victor
    No, merely that it is less dangerous. I do not approve of it.

What really terrified me was that taxi driver who was sending SMs while driving. I was soo glad to get out of that car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Silent Bob
    What really terrified me was that taxi driver who was sending SMs while driving. I was soo glad to get out of that car

Taxi drivers are all vermin, so what do you expect? They don't indicate, they pull in and block traffic, they seem to think that dropping someone off warrants the use of hazard lights...the list goes on.

Yes, it can be a problem, however (a) bus drivers drive for a living and generally are more capable drivers, (b) serious accidents involving buses are rare, (c) typically only the driver gets killed in a fatal bus accident, (d) buses tend to be driving a lot slower than a "muppet on the m50".

so ur saying that because they drive for a living they are good drivers, taxi driversdrive for a living, i wont elaborate on that , we're all aldults and have had dealsing with taxi drivers, the fact is it should b cracked down on. the fact that bus crashes are rare isnt any excuse, 1 bus crash could potentially kill up 2 100 people so even after thatr it would still be rare but 100 people would be dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Chief---
    Is it illegal yet

Yes - even using a hands free kit it's illegal to use the phone while driving.

Originally posted by Chief---
    and does it apply to An Garda using their radio's.

If it did, who would stop them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Yes, it can be a problem, however (a) bus drivers drive for a living and generally are more capable drivers,

Seeing as taxi drivers drive for a living and truck drivers and lorry drivers and sales reps are you going to tell us that all these people are more capable drivers too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger

If it did, who would stop them?

Emm other Gardai. I know a few Gards who have been stopped for speeding and had to take the ticket and apologise etc. I presume its a very serious offence to show your Garda id and expect to get away with it.

Would be funny though. A police car and an ambulance on the way to an accident and the police car pulls over the ambulance for talking on their radio while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Using a Hands Free Kit Is Illegal? Didnt think so, could you point me towards where it says that?

Originally posted by commuterised
    Seeing as taxi drivers drive for a living and truck drivers and lorry drivers and sales reps are you going to tell us that all these people are more capable drivers too?
    The difference is bus drivers tend to work for large companies that have driver monitoring programmes in place.

As regards 100 people being killed in a bus accident, it is highly unlikely here. Such accident happen (a) where the bus leaves the road or (b) is hit by a train, both highly unlikely scenarios.

The number of people killed in an accident rises disproportionately with speed. Buses account for well under 1% of road deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭redneck

i seem to remember those exact scenarios happening somwhere on the continent a couple of weeks ago where a bus was hit by a train

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by mbroaders
    could you point me towards where it says that?

No, I can't be arsed. I heard it on the radio. They had a Garda on the phone explaining it when the new law came in.

The odds of getting caught using a hands free kit are pretty low though. I plan on getting one fitted on my next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

No, I can't be arsed. I heard it on the radio. They had a Garda on the phone explaining it when the new law came in.

The odds of getting caught using a hands free kit are pretty low though. I plan on getting one fitted on my next car.

Especially if you have a passenger in the car who nods and stuff occasionally while you talk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭redneck

they may as well ban passengers 2 seeing as they're banning everything else. theres more chancde of u being distracted by turning to look at a passenger beside or behind u wen ur talking, im sure most (sane ) people dont stare at the handsfree speaker while they're talking to sum1

Advertisement