Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College programming without leaving cert

Options
  • 27-05-2003 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Im I6 and im wonderin is there anyone out there who got into college doin programming with courses on FAS or whatever.I hate nazi boot camp of a school.Not goin back,need help.If theres anyone please reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Try putting this in college. Most ppl looking at this board are still doing their leaving so wouldnt know.

G'luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You will have to do PLC courses. They last 1 - 2 years then you can usually apply to a national cert in computing thats 2 more years. Then you can go into a degree where you usually start off in year 2.

So lets say your 17 when you get into the PLC. Finish at 19
    National Cert 19 - 21
    Degree 21 - 24

Gotta ask yourself is it really worth it ? Maybe look at doing the leaving cert this year try to pass 6 subjects and then apply to some computer courses as they will be low points until the industry picks up. I worked the open days in NCI and saw pretty much no interest in computers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Squall
    Try putting this in college. Most ppl looking at this board are still doing their leaving so wouldnt know.

G'luck with it

Whoops, yep forgot.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Where do you live?

Coláiste Dhúlaigh (Coolock, Dublin) have a Computer Science PLC. If you complete first year you get a NCVA level 2 certificate, and if compelete second year you get a NCVA level 3 certificate. Having completed both years, and had X number of destinctions in the various modules over the two years, and you'll qualify for entry into DIT computer course (degree) at year 2.

So thats 2 years in the PLC, and another 3 for the degree in the DIT. Entry 3 years ago (to the PLC) was based on an interview and completing the LC, but not the results you achieved - I have no idea if that's changed since though.

If I remember correctly, the are/were working on a similar link with the DCU Computer Applications degree course.

The above is just an example I know of, there could be similar setups in your locality?

Good luck with it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For the majority of PLC courses you are going to need your leaving certificate,

But their are other options open to you, Doing the ecdl as tedious as it would be is a good stepping stone for getting into better computer courses,also
    Have you thought of maybe doing evening courses or fas online courses?these can lead to pretty decent qualifications and are pretty good stepping stones aswell,
    www.fas.ie should have some good courses aswell but with out the lc you will not qualify for all of them,
    Would you not just change schools and stick out the last 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

i'd say you'd be better off sticking it out and doing the leaving cert. there are plenty of cert and diploma courses in ITs around the country that you can get into with less than a hundred points.

if you dont do the leaving you're really limiting your options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 autobot

To be honest the leaving cert is load of cock and most of the information you have to learn you're never gona need for anything, the same can be said for most degrees. Yeah you do learn an awful in a dgree but theres an awful lot that you'll never ever use, the point is that if you dont have a leaving cert employers are going to be put off straight off the bat. As for uni qualifications is quite hard to get any decently paid job in the it sector at the moment without a masters, never mind a degree, diploma or cert. Id advise anyone who wants to get into the IT sector to be 100% there actually interested enough in the subject to do it for most their whole working life even if their not well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Originally posted by autobot
    To be honest the leaving cert is load of cock and most of the information you have to learn you're never gona need for anything, the same can be said for most degrees.

Im not sure I agree with this, At the time it may have seemed like that, being forced to do Irish. But like all things when you are young, they dont make sense, that why our parents are supposed to encourage you to continue, for you own good. I dont agree that most of what you learn is no use. Some people might think, and I agree, that Maths is the most important subject, Maths is everything and everything is maths, The was a problem to me as I never understood it. But even things like history, physics and English, you will find yourself feeling sorry in later life that more effort was not put in. What you got to remember is that the only person that looses for skipping out on the leaving cert is the student, in 3 - 4 years later in the school you wont be remembered and you will be able to look at the leaving cert and see it in perspective, and kick yourself that you didnt spend less time worring about the exams and the school rules and should have spent more time having a laugh....

Just think Its one of the only times in life that you can more or less worry about yourself and be a bit selfish (not in a bad way) rather than rushing out into the big bad world to worry about money, accomodation, bills, girlfriends/boyfriends and all that grown up Jazz.

Your 16, a teenager, why not just be one, and try and enjoy the good bits and forget the nasty ones, which If I remember correctly were caused by fellow students in school mostly...
    Originally posted by autobot
    Id advise anyone who wants to get into the IT sector to be 100% there actually interested enough in the subject to do it for most their whole working life even if their not well paid.

*sigh* thats so true! I wish someone had told me that 8 yrs ago, Its so true, I like computers as a hobby, thought it woudl be the ideal job to get into, Good money and all that, So I went to college with the attitude that college was just something to get through. Though I did get through, barely and got a well paid job, I didnt learn much, and consequently Im stuck in a well paid job that I hate, and am now finding it hard to leave with my standard of living.

Well Im going to do it, and Im going back to college, to listen this time and study what is put in front of me, something Im interested in, I know it wont pay well, the job I will get when Im finished, in fact I may find it difficult to get a job in that field, but I expect Ill be a lot happier for it. Remember 'Security' is an illusion created by people that are afraid of the future...

well there is my 2cents

Advertisement