Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Card for recording.

• 27-05-2003 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Right,

The brother is looking for a good sound card for recording his songs during the summer.

He plays the guitar (acoustic and electric) and will probably be hooking the mic upto it too.

He asked me to find out what would be the best sound card, so I said i'd post here.

Suggestions please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

me thinks the audigy1 or 2 platium should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

You need to work out what he needs. If it's recording track by track and mixing it all in cubase or whatever a good onboard (nForce2) or audigy 2 will be just fine. Applying effects in real time will not happen, but he shouldn't need them in realtime. He could also buy a Zoom PS02 (€300-€400) which is a hand sized device which does this upto 3 tracks (+1 midi/drum machine track), a few basic effects and runs off compact flash, they're pretty cool but for the cost ...

If he needs to record 2 tracks at a time, first thing that would come to mind is TAPE! Dump your crappy pc and go for the warmth and hiss of a porta studio, this will allow him to record 4 tracks total, 2 at a time, probably all he wants.

Next up is 4 tracks, he can do this either with a 4track tape, or with some of the latest usb/firewire a/d converters. TBH these are quite new and I don't know a lot about them, other than they have the potntial to be really cool! He is best off to look into this himself if he's interested as there are a lot some these things can do. Price ... I see on Thomann 333 euro for a tascam :o

I have links at work on these firewire/usb recorders, will post them up if you are interested.

Rob

Advertisement