Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B & B's and Holiday Cottages (Good Business?)

Options
  • 27-05-2003 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone have experience of running a B&B or renting out a holiday cottage for weekly/fortnightly holiday rents?

Is either the type of business you would recommend going into?

Or would you say either was more hassle than it's worth?

If anyone has any experience of either type of business, I'd be interested to hear any comments you have.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

A friend of mine had a holiday home in Enniscrone.She would rent it out for the summer (which would pay the morgage for the year) and then have use of it for herself/friends for the rest of the year.

If you buy in the right spot/for the right price it's a good investment.

Do they still have tax incentives for holiday homes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

No experience of Holiday homes but my mother has run a b&B for years.

You won't get rich out of one but you'll keep your head above water. The one thing about them is that in season you're tied to the house all the time, because most trade is just passing through, and if someone rings the bell for a bed you gotta be there. on the plus side, you can bugger off for the winter for a month or three. that sort of depends on your location.

the other thing is that you really have to like people:D as you have stranger staying in your home.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Mars

thanks Guys!

daveg, does that person have to live close to the holiday home?

In order to prepare it and clean it up once a week?

Or do they get someone else to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

No.. the person lives in Galway and travels up every week. Long drive I suppose but I'm sure you could arrange for someone to housekeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Does anyone have experience of running a B&B or renting out a holiday cottage for weekly/fortnightly holiday rents?

Not personally but a friend of my parents does it. She moved here from Germany a while back, started off building her own house, then build her first rental holiday cottage and just built her second last year. Now she absolutely loves doing it but I just can't see how she ever expects to make any money out of it.

Cost of building the house, furniture, insurance, electricity, house(s) only really occupied during a few months etc. it just never ends.
    Is either the type of business you would recommend going into?

From what I see, I would say no. But if its the kind of thing you enjoy, pourquoi pas?

Jer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Mars

I suppose a regular rental property would possibly be more lucrative and with less trouble than a holiday rental property?

Advertisement