Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT from Divis in Co Louth

Options
  • 28-05-2003 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Just moved to the new location - on a hilltop with a clear view into Northern Ireland (56 miles from Divis).
    Tried a Panasonic DTT box received 4 Muxs' not the ITV/C4 or Sky News etc one.
    The aerial was a grid type with a wideband amp, one thing is that the aerial is not on at its highest position, it's actually just five foot off the ground!.
    Any advice as to what aerial I should try or buy. Cannot get a group K locally but can in Newry also can get a Televes DAT45 WB. Other aerial I have is a "regular" group A (with a dodgy dipole).
    Will I get the other Muxs as they use a different quam.
    One piece of advice I got is that I may be picking up signals from another tx using the same channels as the missing muxs - causing a problem.

P.S.
    At this location I can receive Tv and fm from all directions - most of the Dublin fm stations also the likes of CKR and Midlands R3 and a huge number of RTE's and at least three BBC txs' - very pleased with all this and the aerials are still on the ground almost!

:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Congrats squire! You are the first person here anyway to get DTT in Co Louth. Without giving specific details of where you live (if you dont want to), give us a compass direction of where you live in relation to Dundalk, i.e. are you North, West, East or South of Dundalk? It would help me in my pursuit of DTT in North Co. Meath! :D

A wideband aerial might be the way to go.... Looking at the channel numbers on the BBC reception site for Divis,

BBC 29, ITV & C4 33, SDN 23, Mux 26, Mux C 48, Mux D 34...

...you've done well to get Mux C and D as they are on lower power than the ITV Mux. And as Mux C is on channel 48, a wideband aerial is needed, whereas the others are gettable with a Group A aerial.

As for stockists.... over to the masses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tvman

Hi DMC and thanks for the reply.

Rx site is 6 miles south west of Dundalk - hope that helps.
    The mux I did not receiving were actually 2 and c.
    Incidentally the BBC mux was the easiest to get, even got it with the aerial sitting on an upstairs window sill.

This link is a good guide to channels and their mux:

Freeview List

A group k aerial should do the job as it it extends up to channel 48, but I would really like to erect one of the Televes Dat45 or 75 - they look the part!

Anyway if anyone knows of any local stockist, please let me know.

Do you expect to get DTT at your location in North Meath, maybe you will as Presely in Wales is receivable in the south east.
    The bottom line I think is that you have to experiment to see what results you will get, no amount of theory does the job.

Cheers for now
    tvman:)

Ooh, you are in that corridor of opportunity. I've always thought that no further west or south than Ardee, and no further east than Dunleer, you'd have a chance of getting DTT as you dont have Camlough or the Cooleys in your line of sight of Divis. I would'nt rule out north of Slane to just north of Drogheda. You've proved that, that is excellent news. :)

Something is better than nothing. The BBC mux works on 16QAM (for defination see here) while the ITV and others work on 64QAM, which blighted ITV Digital's coverage. So the picture quailty of the other muxes may be the reason you are not currently getting them.

I dunno of any local stockists around Louth.... there are not too many Louth correspondants here....I'd ring around aerial installers in the Golden Pages. :( Let us know how you get on.

As for me, the analog from Divis is sharp enough. I had a lend of an Nokia OnDigital box once, and I tried it around a few houses locally, who I knew has decent or more robust rx than me. It didnt even wink at me. :( I blame Camlough, meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Funny enough I finally got Freeview installed yesterday also with a Panasonic Box too!

The Multiplexes that are missing are on channels 33 & 48. Your type of receiving aerial (gird aka colour king, fireguard) is actually quite poor on the low UHF frequencies. Ch33 is a 64QAM Mux, which means that the signal from it isn't as robust. Ch48 is on lower power than the rest except Ch34, which is on even lower power!

I'd say try getting a good Group K yagi aerial which has a good front-to-back ratio, because by the description of your reception it could be possible for the analogue RTÉ TV reception to spoil your DTT viewing.

Also, could it be possible to print the signal quality values for each multiplex as it may give some clues. I'll try and get some pictures up of my setup later.

Again thanks for the replies.

Sorry but I cannot supply the signal strength figures at the moment - the box is gone back to Index in Newry! Had it at a bad time - right in the middle of moving house. I will buy a new box shortly and will then play around with it - no fear!
    I will try and get a group K aerial in Newry and get it up as high as possible and will report back then.
    Any advice on what type of amp if any I should use, I currently have an Antiference super model wideband - the next one up from the basic model, but there is a higher gain one also available.
    With regard to the Televes aerial, I suppose there is no point getting it just for its looks, as I do'nt need the higher frequencies.
    Another point could I combine the usual C/D with the K and then amplify both - this would give me the full choice of Divis, Clermont Carn and Camlough. I know the usual is to diplex the two but amplify Divis only.
    I will be back with all the results as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

Damien,

If you're about at home during summer let me know and I'll bring a Pace DTVA whioch gives a signal strength - 65% seems to be what it needs for Divis to come through.

Haven't been on the boards for a while - a Freeview box and the RTE aerial keep me amused - great to have '24' three weeks ahead of BBC Three and the rugby coverage on RTE/TG4 has been good and made it worthwhile. Some interesting documentaries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

TVMAN,

I got a Televes PRO 75 from Seamus Watters Electrical. They are on the main Dundalk\Castleblaney road on the Dundalk side of Culloville. Ask for Pat if nobody knows what you are talking about.

I am using same in Donegal hoping to try DTT when I get a box. Also have promised to do a install for friend about 6 miles west of Dundalk so interested to hear your results. Apparently a good indicator as to whether DTT will work in Louth area is based on channel 5 reception.

Towbar

Towbar, got the same advice about five reception and DTT, despite my location, five is unwatchable, but the DTT results were better than expected.
    Unfortunatley I still hav'nt got my aerials as high as I want, so everything could improve including five and DTT.

Good advice about Watters, I know it well, so if I can get a Televes or at least a group K aerial it will force me to get the aerials up where they belong.

Thanks for now, I will report back as soon as I sort myself out.
    ;)

Originally posted by NorthDown
    Damien,

If you're about at home during summer let me know and I'll bring a Pace DTVA whioch gives a signal strength - 65% seems to be what it needs for Divis to come through.

Haven't been on the boards for a while - a Freeview box and the RTE aerial keep me amused - great to have '24' three weeks ahead of BBC Three and the rugby coverage on RTE/TG4 has been good and made it worthwhile. Some interesting documentaries too.

Hi NorthDown!

I might take you up on that offer! PM on the way!

:)

Advertisement