Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb technical question

• 28-05-2003 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Are there any limitations I should be aware of ?
    The satellite technology introduces limitations in certain applications.
    Digiweb Satellite Broadband is not suitable for:

Heavy uplink traffic, such as Web or FTP hosting
    Direct connection to Macintosh, Linux, Unix, or Windows NT operating systems (can be shared out to these though)
    Remote control software, and video & voice over IP (VOIP)
    Frequent large file and e-mail uploads
    Online gaming and peer-to-peer networking

What I want to know is why satellite broadband is not suitable for stuff like games and peer-to-peer networking (presumably they mean kazaa)? I was under the impression that it was only the one way service that wasn't suitable for games as uploads remained the same meaning pings didn't change but why would gaming not work on two way satellite broadband? Is it because the service operates in bursts and loses loads of packets or is there a different reason?
    I have no intention of getting satellite broadband as I'm quite happy with my current bb isp but I'm just wondering why it has such limitations.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I believe this is a two way service.

This has a very high latency, as the packet has to travel all the way into space, back down to the base station, go to the website (over traditional fiber), return from website to base statin, back up to the satellite and back down to you.

I believe latency is greater then 1000ms, ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

550ms or so in the best conditions. 600 - 700ms to most sites on my Aramiska connection.

Advertisement