Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn off the lights...

• 28-05-2003 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

....and listen
    Never Alone In The Dark
    (well what did you expect, Enigma?..;) )

Taking a break from trying to nail down a trance tune I did this theme for a Horror themed game, "Periculum". Very different from my usuall style (no bass or percussion at all) this is my attempt at a gothic soundtrack piece (Yes, I know, Danny Elfman is ****ting himself).

Enjoy (*waits to be flamed by dance folks....but it was composed electronically....:D )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I like it. A little different from your other work, in fact it reminds me more of Mike's work.
    Certainly works very nicely for a game, in fact just listening to it I can see myself wandering around a level not being able to find my way out while this piece loops over and over.
    It does have a haunting effect, mainly from the kind of vocal, well it's not a vocal, it's like "aaahing" I'm sure you know what I mean. It gives a nice chilling and eerie feel to it.
    You say there is no percussion, but there are symbols in the background are there not? Do they count as percussion?
    It also gives the feel of a large place, as if it should be played in castle or something. I don't know why it just has that kind of ambience to it.
    Good work anyway. Two thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Cheers for listening Makaveli, and the feedback of course :).

Nope, no symbols, there is a lot of overlap on the instruments and mp3 compression mangled it (lots of low volume flutter), where did you hear them?.
    Anyway the instrument list is :

Violins - Sonic Reality's Symphonic Strings.
    Synthetic strings - Atmosphere
    Guitar - Virtual Guitarist (Through Predatohm and later AngelinaFX)
    Choir - Voices of the Apocalypse.
    Mastering - Ozone2

It really does sound like cymbals. Comes in at about 1:20 until 2:02. Kind of where the beat comes in then fades out and the choir comes in, then they come back in at about 2:25 or so and play to 4:32 then the piece comes to an end from there out as you know.

Nope no cymbals, there's the guitar at those points and it's running through a distortion effect so that might be what you're hearing (it does accent some of the notes so that may be where it's coming from)

Yeah from reading your list of instruments I thought it was the guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, I could have sworn it was Cymbals myself...

Nice song indeed, I love the choirs! And as was said, yeah rather similar to Mike's work, but I honestly can't say it's very 'Horror' at all. You should check out Goblin's theme for Susperia, or Coil's theme for Hellraiser if you want to hear some great, and downright disturbing horror music.

Mind you, I think the song is fantastic.

Cheers AngelWhore, I know it's not really terror building but that wasn't what I was aiming for, more eery suspense. But then if it's for a game it's important to know what listeners will expect so I appreciate the criticism. Anyway, glad ya liked it and thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi Creed,

I usually spot a new post from you a bit quicker but I've not been looking in here much lately.....I'll check your new track soonest.

Meantime visit - www.electronicscene.com/futuremusiccorp and check out the top track called Latest Doodle which is as it says! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"The Horror! the Horror...!" ;)

Its not horror in the traditional sence to me, but it sounds like the sort of thing that Dario Argento might have used in one of his arty slasher flix back in the 70s/80s. Nice quality playing and production, the guitar sounds quite realistic. Good stuff.

If you want to hear my idea of a creepy horror soundtrack check out
    Haunted House below-

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/151/future_music_corp.html

I was going to deep link but mp3.com wont allow that sort of carry-on.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Meantime visit - www.electronicscene.com/futuremusiccorp and check out the top track called Latest Doodle which is as it says! :)

Mike.

hmmm I downloaded this a few days ago and then completley forgot about it. :rolleyes:
    Will give it a listen, and then report back.

• Advertisement

Sorry I haven't checked back here in quite a while.

Mike - "Latest Doodle" is great, lovely reverb and as usual great flow. Makes me think of being on a bus zipping through tropical forest.
    "Haunted House" is good but not really my cuppa tea (evolving pads just lose me after a while, no matter how well done).

I've popped up another short piece for a Promo video for the game if ya want a listen, it's pretty simple and 49 seconds long.

Periculum Promo (1mb)

The vid it goes with is here if you want to see how it's meant to sit with visuals- Rough Periculum Promo Video (8mb)

Advertisement