Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Xp Pro Installation

Options
  • 28-05-2003 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I just changed my hard drive from a Samsung 60GB(with a hidden partition of Win ME) to a western Digital 80Gb harddrive. then i tries to install Win XP Pro from a CD, it formatted the drive created the partition no worries! but when it was copying the files for the installation to the harddrive about 20 .dll files and a few .sys file would not copy, i tried three times and a few of the same files would not copy. This also happened when i tried it with the original Samsung hard drive. Any takers on whats going on. Is it the CD thats at fault

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It sounds like it's probably the CD drive may need cleaning, or the CD itself is scraped or needs cleaning. The surest way to find out is to note down a few of the non-transferring files' names and try copying them on a different computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sourfoot

Cheers for the reply,
    Just last Saturday i installed a Game from teh Cd drive to th old harddrive, it went in alright..... so i dony know if the Cd drive is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh not that im implying anything but the only time i have consistantly seen this is with a copied CD. So if its an original then i would say you might have problems with it.. if its copied then you definatly have problems..

try xcopy the i386 folder to hard disk and if its ok then install from there.

Cheers Sauruman
    Well it totally legit software, i am thinking of getting a replacement sent out to see if that will work, i might try installing to a different pc first of all but well i have already tried on two hard drives. I will try and do a copy of the i386 folder to the hard drive using DOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

I had the exact same problem over the weekend,

Turned out to be a bad cd

• Advertisement

Sweet !! Now i have somewhere to go from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Bad and all as Microsoft are, they are helpful for things like this. I lost an OEM XP CD and they sent down a replacement later that day. Ditto with an Office CD, feck all questions asked. Payed for postage and all. Still won't use their bloody browser though.

Advertisement