Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikaruga

Options
  • 28-05-2003 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Has anyone played this game yet? I bought it on the release day, & it's sweet candy let me tell you.

Anyone out there ever complained of the following things?

a) Games getting too easy for the casual gamer

b) Falling game quality

c) Commitee decision game design that inevitably leads to a peice of poo involving cars, guns & big titted women (vice city is the exception to how this is a bad thing)

Anyone who yearns for quality, to you I say this - buy Ikaruga, play Ikaruga.

I have seen the promised land, & it is good.

P.S. If anyone knows how I can get hold of the DVD of top Japanese players kicking arse on Ikaruga, let me know. I would give my left kidney for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ikaruga Appreciate DVD: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=52&products_id=3030

Another thread about Ikaruga: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97240 (scroll down a bit!)

You're not alone in your respect for this game. Hard as nails, but bloody good.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have it on the Dreamcast and it truly is quality, but for my money, still second to Bangai-O in the grand order of shoot-em-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Bangai O? Enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bangai is another Treasure shoot-em-up on the Dreamcast and (in Japan) the N64. It's sidescolling as opposed to the top down view of Ikaruga and you pilot a tiny mech - which can shoot in 360 degrees. It's one of the best games I've ever had the privelage to play, and can be picked up for next to nothing on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Yeah, I checked out the review on gamespot. Looks pretty sweet. With any luck it'll be the next GC conversion from treasure. Hurrah for the Japanese!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't get your hopes up about a GC Bangai-oh conversion. If anyone from treasure or atari are reading then i command you to release a conversion of bangai-oh and the stupidly good radiant silvergun.

Ikaruga is sheer class. Like other well done shmups it is gameplay in its purest form. Not sure what is harder, Ikaruga or R-type 1 and 2. I'd go for the R-types though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Psyvariar is a really nice shmup and is being released on PS2 in Europe this month at a budget price. It's kind of like Mars Matrix for the Dreamcast.

It's proved extremely popular with importers. It's less of a memory test than Ikaruga as it uses a buzz system whereby you try and skim off bullets that allows for a less rigid combo scoring system.

There's a good review here:
    http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/PS2/Psyvariar/Psyvariar.htm

I really want a copy of Bangai-oh. I just don't have a credit card or I'd buy it on Ebay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've got two games off e-bay without a credit card. Go to e-bay.co.uk and most traders will accept a chasiers cheque ( in other words a bank draft)

Advertisement