Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical Weapons Explained

Options
  • 28-05-2003 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Phew - thank God for Donald Rumsfeld... Just as I was beginning to get a bit suspicious about the lack of chemical weapons used during the recent invasion of Iraq, he explain's it all:
    The speed of the US advance may have caught Iraq by surprise (so they didn't have time to deploy them)
    or
    "It is also possible that they decided that they would destroy them prior to a conflict."

It would be funny if it wasn't true...

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12331154,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I heard that on the radio this morning (They actually played the extract from Rumsfled's speech - thank god they did or I wouldn't have believed it). I nearly laughed all the way to work. Tis worse the US is getting. Makes me wonder where it'll all end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by daveg
    Tis worse the US is getting. Makes me wonder where it'll all end ?

Possibly under a big mushroom cloud if they keep going the way they're going.

This is interesting though from that skynews story:
    Speaking in New York, Mr Rumsfeld said: "We'll find out a lot more information as we go along and keep interrogating people."

Maybe someone should explain to him what the weapons inspectors were trying to do, they wouldn't have needed to kill 1000's of civilians to achieve this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The weapons inspectors interviewed people.
    The US is interrogating them.

There is a difference.

jc

Originally posted by bonkey
    The weapons inspectors interviewed people.

There is a difference.

jc

True. Do the ends justify the means though, I don't think so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

"The weapons inspectors interviewed people.

There is a difference."

Yeah, a rifle butt in the face and solitary confinement being forced to listen to "I love you, you love me....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    True. Do the ends justify the means though, I don't think so anyway.

I'm just clarifying that interrogation is not what the weapons inspectors were trying to do....which could be construed from the wording from the last bit of your post immediately before my first one there.

Call it preventative maintenance. There are too many people in the world who seem to love jumping up and down in righteous indignation that you could propose something as outrageoulsy proposterous as that the Inspectors interrogated people.....and it all goes downhill from there. I'm making sure that the distinction gets pointed out calmly...thats all.

jc

Originally posted by bonkey
    I'm just clarifying that interrogation is not what the weapons inspectors were trying to do....which could be construed from the wording from the last bit of your post immediately before my first one there.

Call it preventative maintenance. There are too many people in the world who seem to love jumping up and down in righteous indignation that you could propose something as outrageoulsy proposterous as that the Inspectors interrogated people.....and it all goes downhill from there. I'm making sure that the distinction gets pointed out calmly...thats all.

jc

Sorry if it sounded that way, wasn't meant to at all.
    All I meant was that they could have (more than likely) obtained this information Rumsfeld is talking about without torture or the huge number of civilian deaths that were caused by their little excursion, had they let the inspectors carry on what they were doing.
    I really can't picture Hans Blix beating someone around with a rubber hose trying to get them talk anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Donald Rumsfeld said : -
    The speed of the US advance may have caught Iraq by surprise (as an explaination to the lack of use of chemical weapons).
    Tony Balir said :-
    The Iraqi dictator could activate his chemical and biological arsenal in just 45 minutes.

Unless the ''Allies'' (c) transported into Iraq via the Starship Enterprise, something doesn't add up (these guy's were on the same side,right?)

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12331802,00.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Weapons of mass destruction in Iraq's hands were a valid pretext for war, (in my opinion), so I supported the war.
    Now however, it seems they did not exist in any real quantities if at all within the past few years.
    So, those who did opposed the war were correct in that sense.
    Sorry about that
    - <rather disillusioned>but surely they are not lieing about the WoM in Iran? </rather disillusioned> :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought the point of Iraq was that they destroy all thier WMD. If they did, then what was the point of the war if the US knows that they did it before the war.

Clearly there are wookies on endor, and this doesn't make sense.

*whips out a monkey*

Look at the monkey! Look at the monkey!

• Advertisement
Advertisement