Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parent and child pages in asp

Options
  • 28-05-2003 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have the following link in a web page
    <a href="page on my server" target="_blank">

this will open a child page, is it possible to reload the parent page when the child closes?

any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It isn't a child page, it's just another window with no relationship to the previous one. If you open the page using javascript then you can reference the opener window from the new window using more javascript, this in turn allows you to do a reload on the opener from the new window.

Of course opening a new window in javascript is even worse than opening a new window normally, but then if you're already breaking one guidelines I suppose you might as well plow on through. (No, the irony of those links opening in new windows isn't lost on me).

The actual code for doing so is something like:
    <body onunload="if (window.opener)window.opener.location.reload();">

With the check on the existence of window.opener necessary to prevent problems with browsers that don't have that property in the window object or if the window got opened by some means other than javascript.

This is a client-side thing, nothing to do with ASP, so I'll move this to webmaster where it's more their bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

So how is the relationship between the opener and the openee :-) realised?

do I then just have to open a new window using javascript, or do I have to pass parameters to the new window?

Advertisement