Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using UK Medical Card in Ireland

• 28-05-2003 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I was wondering, if I were to move from the UK to Ireland would I be able to use my UK medical card there if I were to go to a GP?

I know someone from the UK who is now living in Ireland, and they told me they went to the GP and the doctor asked them for their UK medical card (which they did not have with them at the time).

The doctor told them that if they had their UK medical card with them, then the GP would not charge them for the consultation.

Is this true; or would it only apply to UK citizens who are visiting Ireland?

Apparently, the GP said even if the patient was now a permanent resident in Ireland they could still use their UK medical card there for consultations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

If you hold a NHS (UK) Medical Card you can claim free medical care and prescription cost in any EU Country, you are only susposed to do this whilst temporarily away from "home" (UK) and for a maximum of 6 months cause your susposed to tell your local UK health board / authority if you plan to be out of the country longterm and return the card. As for doctors its up to you who you choose to go and see although it would be advisable to tell them at the time of making the appointment that you have a NHS card. Oh and by the way all the forms go from Irish Dept of Health to UK counterpart so if your abusing it you will be caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might make enqiuries through the shared services division of the health board that issue form E11 to Irish residents travelling in the EU/EEA. They will prbably know. Some Irish doctors tend to discriminate against medical card users.

http://www.erha.ie/view_categories.php?nCatId=1&catFlag=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭MazyMo

thanks for the link - I'll check it out

When you say some doctors tend to discriminate against medical card users, do you mean gp's? (not doctors in hospital)

Do you mean some do not wish to see medical card holders; or do some discriminate by how they treat patients or what they prescribe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by MazyMo
    thanks for the link - I'll check it out

When you say some doctors tend to discriminate against medical card users, do you mean gp's? (not doctors in hospital)

Do you mean some do not wish to see medical card holders; or do some discriminate by how they treat patients or what they prescribe?

i would assume its whether or not they wish to see card holders, not that they will treat them worse than other patients :)

although, you never know!

Advertisement