Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobster

• 28-05-2003 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

Fun :D

I just bought two lobsters from Molley's fishmongers on Baggot St. Came to 23 euro for the two, so it wasn't too bad. They seem quite frisky, they keep trying to climb out of the sink. I've never cooked/eaten them before, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for recipes? :)

Dan / Regi

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The best way to cook them is just to boil 'em up in a big pot of salted water.
    Cook for around 15 mins per Kilo.

There are basically three ways to kill the lobster;
    First and least cruel way is to drop it into the pot while the water is just lukewarm, then gently heat him up to boiling, it will be like falling asleep in the bath.
    Second is to just drop it into the pot while rapidly boiling, death will be quick.
    Finally, hold the lobster down on a chopping block and swiftly stab in the back of the head (where the cross mark is) with the tip of a sharp cook's knife, make sure the knife goes in good and deep. Death will be quick.

Once they are cooked you can do lots with the meat, do a Google for lobster recipes.

Have been looking through a few of my cookery books, and have found a few nice recipes (particularly in Larousse Gastronomique).
    I am without a flatbed scanner at home at the moment but if I get a chance in work in the morning, I'll scan a few pages in and post them here.

Alternatively, you could invite me around for dinner and I'll show you how to kill 'em and eat 'em.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Originally posted by Samson
    The best way to cook them is just to boil 'em up in a big pot of salted water.
    Cook for around 15 mins per Kilo.

There are basically three ways to kill the lobster;
    First and least cruel way is to drop it into the pot while the water is just lukewarm, then gently heat him up to boiling, it will be like falling asleep in the bath.
    Second is to just drop it into the pot while rapidly boiling, death will be quick.
    Finally, hold the lobster down on a chopping block and swiftly stab in the back of the head (where the cross mark is) with the tip of a sharp cook's knife, make sure the knife goes in good and deep. Death will be quick.

Once they are cooked you can do lots with the meat, do a Google for lobster recipes.

Im impressed Samson.. are you a chef?
    I've never tried lobster but for future reference what would you serve with it?

Originally posted by commuterised
    Im impressed Samson.. are you a chef?

No, not a chef.
    Well, not in the professional sense anyway.
    Originally posted by commuterised
    I've never tried lobster but for future reference what would you serve with it?

Personally, I like lobster fairly plain.
    A few very basic things you can do, are to serve the tail and claw meat in the half shell with some melted garlic butter on top and pop it under the grill for a few minutes.
    Or, you could make (or buy a can if you are lazy) bisque and use that as a sauce, maybe add some double cream and froth it up.
    Asparagus goes well with lobster.

I know it's very old fashioned, but if serving cold, you can't go wrong with Marie Rose sauce and a simple green salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by Samson
    Regi, thats the best way. they also taste better. But in the water put some herbs and stock cubes if u have them, also some fresh ground pepper but I WILL SAY that what every you put into the water do it in small qualtities, you dont want to over power the taste of the lobster.
    Also the water should be lukewarm as Samson said but more like cold than hot i fyou know what I mean

have fun man.

• Advertisement

So tell us Regi, how did the execution go?

Advertisement