Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nwn 28-05-2003

Options
  • 28-05-2003 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

A new campaign!

yaaaay.. would have been nice to finish throne of bloodstone (and maybe we will in the future) but it kept crashing every time we split up. ah well.

Characters in the new campaign will start at 2nd level.

It is a HCR campaign (see text below).

No hak required.

Post what character class you want.

If no-one minds, I'd like to go thief for this one. Otherwise I'll fill in any gaps that might appear.

Module blurb:

Welcome to The Keep on the Borderlands! (b2) v1.10
    ==================================================
    Keep on the Borderlands (B2) is a conversion of the original Dungeons and Dragons module of the same name, which is Copyright (c) 1980 Wizards of the Coast.
    This module was converted to Neverwinter Nights with the intention of making it as close as possible to the original, within the limitations imposed by NWN. This means that:
    1) There are no quests (The Journal is used for notes and "points of interest")
    2) There is very little roleplaying, it's basically hack-n-slash.
    3) The module was designed for characters of "good" alignment
    4) All encounters, items, treasure are identical to the original PnP module
    5) Some monsters, which are not included in NWN have been substituted with the closest available, with the same stats as the original

That being said, I hope you enjoy my interpretation of this classic module and that it lives up to the high expectations of its' many fans.

Hints
    =====
    1) Use map pins! some of the caves are easy to get lost in, so take notes and use map pins!
    2) Check your journal. Any rumours you may hear, or places you visit will be recorded in your journal
    3) Take things carefully. First level players can be fragile ;)

Hard Core Ruleset
    =================
    I have not turned on all the HCR features, so I'll detail only what *has* been used:

New Characters
    - New characters will be stripped of equipment on starting. They can then buy new equipment as per D&D rules

Familiars/Summoned creatures:
    - Summoned creatures last 3 rounds/level
    - The list of summoned creatures is as in D&D
    - Familiars, when fed, will not gain full hitpoints

PC Death
    - PCs will die as per D&D rules ie unconscious at 0hp, dead at -10 hp
    - After death, PCs can respawn or exit (no Fugue plane)
    - By respawning, a PC will lose 200XP per level (but only if they have at least 200 XP already). Also, players will not lose a level by respawning

Resting
    - PCs must rest every 8 hrs or become fatigued
    - PCs can't rest more often than once every 8 hrs
    - When PCs rest, they get back 1hp/level
    - When PCs rest, the screen will go black (as they close their eyes)
    - Only one PC may rest at a time

Light Sources
    - Torches will only burn for 2 hours. Lanterns must be filled with oil

Throwing Oil, Acid
    - Acid and Oil can be thrown as a grenade-like weapon

Potions
    - Cure potions can be used to cure other players

Experience
    - Experience is awarded as per D&D

*NOTE: To throw oil or acid, or fill a torch, or cure another creature, assign the item to a quickslot, and click on the target. This will activate the item's special properties

Introduction by Gary Gygax
    ==========================
    "The Realm of mankind is narrow and constricted. Always the forces of Chaos press upon its' borders, seeking to enslave its populace, rape it's riches, and steal its treasures"
    "If it were not for the stout few, many in the Realm would indeed fall prey to the evil which surrounds them ..."
    "You are indeed members of that exceptional class, adventurers who have journeyed to the Keep on the Borderlands in search of fame and fortune." - Gary Gygax

Suggested characters
    ====================
    This module is a basic Good vs Evil setting. As such, it is best played by characters who are lawful-good, good, or neutral. Evil characters won't have much fun.

Player levels: 1-3, Players: 2-6.
    This module is best played with 3 to 6 characters of level1. It can also be played with 2 players of level 2 or 3. (Probably plays well with any combination of 6 character levels).
    Can be played with 2 players of level 1, if you like a challenge :)
    Can NOT be played single-player (some mechanisms require two people to operate) unless you have a DM as well.

Playing with a DM
    =================
    This module is designed to be played stand-alone, but can be played with a DM. A DM would add more depth, and make the sessions more enjoyable for the players

Credits
    =======
    Converted to NWN by Steve Moseley (Stumble) email:steve@win.co.nz, web: www.nznights.com

* Original module Copyright (c) 1980 Wizards of the Coast.
    * Uses HCR v2.0, Archaegeo Neosophy, E.G. Hornbostel, aka Whyteshadow and many others.
    * Special thanks to Roger Books for his convesion of KotB to 3E DnD books@www.jumpspace.net
    * Also thanks to Marshia The Monk who helped with initial playtesting :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

All setup

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Sounds good. I'll be there. Probably play as a Barbarian.

Server back,

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

lo guys

im thinking about giving the nwn multiplay a go. ive played about half the sp game and i enjoyed it.

found it daunting to just log on to servers for multiplay so i never did but im thinking of giving it a go now.

do ye guys play every week? if so what time? would ye accept casual players?

im a little behind in updates, would there be any other mods or stuff that i would need to D/l.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

just start nwn as normal and select multiplayer.

create a username and password if you dont have one already.

when the screen pops up for options, select Join a LAN game.

Select Direct Connect,

in the server adderss type games2.iol.ie

this will connect you to Teddy's kitchen, our portal server where we gather before entering the actual game server.

We play on Mondays and Wednesdays and try to turn up around 8:30 (generally we end up waiting until 9 or so).

If you dont see anyone, select SHOUT from the speech type and let out a yell. We'll say hello (and might even stop beating each other up long enough to come meet you :) ).

Casual players are more than welcome, though you might find yourself falling behind the group in XP. Just be sure to give any quest items, keys etc to one of the "regulars" before you log off for the night (not looking at anyone in particular. flash. ahem. :p)

The current campaign is HCR (hard core ruleset) which means the rules are a little bit more strict than the standard NWN game. But it's good fun all the same.

PS. BC and Doli, I have 450 gp each for you. Remind me to hand it over (there's a suit of full plate winking at me in the armoury).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It was tough but fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yeah, even that one bit when some complete and utter muppet went and lead two hobnobs back to the already crippled group.
    :rolleyes:

no idea who that could have been.

hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

I survived it :)

(btw, the quest-item thingy only happened once!... wait... twice! only twice! ... well... at least it was never on purpose, ok?)

anyways, before you do the whole stuff lolth describes, make sure you press "update" on the starter and get yourself the newest version.

Yeah, that's all I have to say really... that, and you might consider being a cleric. I'm always a bit low on spells, even thou I only use them to heal. So there we go.

cya
    - Flash

Originally posted by LoLth
    yeah, even that one bit when some complete and utter muppet went and lead two hobnobs back to the already crippled group.
    :rolleyes:

no idea who that could have been.

hehe.

Yes... one wonders who said muppet could have been?? Hmmmm....

In fairness i was hiding and i scouted.. it took them a while to notice me, i was just on the way back when they started to chase me so i came out of hide and ran like hell! Guess at level one im not good enough to hide for long...

On another matter, any idea why some of us get lots of XP and others (me) get feck all?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Hi,

I havent played NWN in a while but am looking to get back into it.. Just curious, but is there a game on tonight?

And if so, what be the requirements? ie. any Hacks or addons I have to download?

Thanks

Ken

• Advertisement

Yes the game will be running tonight.
    Just make sure you're patched up correctly.
    And then connect to the portal server around 8:30. If you arrive a bit before time someone will fill u in.

the portal server is on games2.iol.ie so do a direct connect to that.

Just remember no local characters and the character you make for portal server is not the one you use on the campaign so dont take ages with the first guy... Wait till you join the campaign

Advertisement