Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remote desktop via DSL

• 28-05-2003 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Is anybody using vnc or PCAnywhere with a DSL package.

Is it essential to get static IP on the server site to have a smoth connection ?

Any experince with it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by rolo2912
    Is anybody using vnc or PCAnywhere with a DSL package.

Is it essential to get static IP on the server site to have a smoth connection ?

Any experince with it ?

Thanks

I am using the Remote Desktop feature of Win XP Pro atm from college to control my home machine over Netsource RADSL and it's working sweetly! :ninja:

Having a static IP doesn't impact perfomance in any way , it's just handy. ;)

carb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Rolo912.

I'm using the Windows Remote Desktop Software to connect to my Win2k server at home.
    Have a Istream Self-Install adsl connection at home.

Works fine.

To get around the non static ip, I set up a free account with DynDNS.
    So I have a fixed dns name which I just connect to.

Cheers
    Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

Depends on the DSL you have, if you only have 128 kb/s uploadspeed it'll work but wont be that fast, the higher the upload the better :)

A good safe and fast solution is tightvnc http://www.tightvnc.com

You can connect with the client applet or through a browser window (java)

No you don't need a static IP, if you have a dynamic IP I suggest you use a service like NO-IP http://www.no-ip.com or Dyndns http://www.dyndns.com.

I hope it helped.

GreetZ Tripkipke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Damn you carbsy! same time an all! :D

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by shurl
    Damn you carbsy! same time an all! :D

S.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

Yeah I use TightVNC all the time with my eircom 512/128 DSL. Works a treat. Using JPEG compression with it seems to work fine even with 128k/sec limit.

I use no-ip.com dynamic dns to avoid problems with IP.

www.tightvnc.com

=rez=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

I never tryed it on a 128k line, where I come from I had SDSL 3.3 Mb/s up and download :)
    no compression, no delay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

I'm using WinXP pro remote desktop over a netsource Radsl connection. It's a little slow put perfectly functional, had to do some port forwarding on the router to get it working (port 3389 if you are interested :) )

Advertisement