Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MotorBike Insurance - who does it?

Options
  • 28-05-2003 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I spent most of the day trying to get insurance for a bike. This is me pending on 2 privae deals.

I called about 11 companies, only 3 or so do motorbike insurance. Out of these, 2 would not insure me, mainly due to the fact that I have only been in Ireland (EU) since January.

Not sure why this is - I have my license converted to a Full Irish License, am 30, so def out of the risk age - have had my license since 1995 - whats the problem?

I called one company - they only work with registered dealers. Said dealer has a blackbird available, but more expensive than what I can get private - and basically forces me to buy it.

HELP???

I tried among others, Carole Nash, Hiberian, AXA, Broker Line, AA, Quinn Direct, Allianz, 123.ie, EAgle and one or two others ...

The only one that can help is AON, but via their dealer network.

Help ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Norwich union dawson st

don't know if they're still around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

From one of the other companies

1. Have been resident and working in Ireland for the last three years

FFS - whats the point? If I can survive driving in South Africa, I promise Ill manage in a first world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, we're pretty much boned over here as regards bike insurance.

There are only two players - Hibernian and Carol Nash.
    The AON deal is useful because you get cheaper insurance off the bat, but as you find out, limits first time buyers to what/where they can buy. AON are simply a broker for Hibernian.

You can go direct to Hibernian, but they will be a little more expensive, and I'm not sure if any no-claims bonus from abroad will carry into here. Hibernian have also begun the Ignition scheme for bikers with full licences, you can find out more about ignition on the MIJAG board.

Carol Nash will, on paper, only insure over 25's, but they will consider under 25's on a case-by-case basis. They are usually slightly cheaper than Hibernian.

Your best bet is also to join a club. Whether you actually participate or not is irrelevant. For a nominal fee each year, you can get substantial discounts on your insurance. Check out MAG Ireland for just such a club.

:)

http://www.norwich-union.ie/

Semms Norwich union bought over by Hibernian - who wouldnt cover me for some or other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

I know it sucks but maybe you should aim lower with your purchase and start with more insurance friendly bike.

Hibernian sucks big time.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys

I have wanteda blackbird for soooo long - after a ZZR1100 - now that I can afford one - I must have.

Will go via AON via dealer network - after calling 3 other companies in morning - if all goes to plan - I will have my bike by tomrrow or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For God sake man, just drop over to Hibernian's website - www.hiberniandirect.ie and stick your details in, age, licence type, bike, etc...go for TPO insurance and I guarantee you won't be paying more than a grand.

Let me guess...on the phone you volunteered the information regarding South Africa? Don't bother...just act as if you are here years and you'll be fine. Ostensibly it makes no difference to the insurance companies other than simply being another stick with which to beat you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Well,Moyo
    It will be more then a grand, if he actually gets insured.
    Hibernian Online system will not give you a quote if you are 30 with 0 years NCB and want to insure bikes in highest insurance group.

Advertisement