Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: Stair na Gaeilge

Options
  • 28-05-2003 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Just a question about the Stair section for ppl doing higher level Irish.....

The question on the paper always asks for 3 main points.... Stair in most textbooks is presented in 20 or so one-line bullet points...

How much are we meant to write for each theme? Instead of presenting 3 paragraphs or whatever can you just throw down these book points, learnt by heart, one after the other...?

I waffled my way through it in the mocks and it didn't work :P ... but if it is just a case of learning points that would be 30 marks in the bag... :)

Any ideas? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Answer: Do pass andrew :/

You seriously dont know how sweet it is, havent opened a book this year......anyway I digress?

Just looking at the points(not me u), are any of them connected, would they considered one big point? Maybe there is only 4/5 big main points, and you learn 3??
    Coarse Im just waffling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Captain Planet

*SIGH* Dont you ever listen?... lol The three main points shouldnt really go very much over half a page, most of your 20 or so points should be linked but you should only learn 7/8 short one-liners which you could plonk down as one-liners, learning anything more than that is a waste of time and brainspace.

The real question is how many topics we should know, Im doing, ruraiocht(has to come up) danta gra, amhran gra, amhran (yes very similar) meath na ghaeilge, and scoileanna na mBard. Is that enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

Okay. Stair na Gaeilge is worth 30 points, i.e. 5% of the entire Irish exam. It could be the difference between a fail and a pass, a C1 and a B, a B1 and an A, so you know it's kinda important.

Yes, ideally you do only need 3 points, but if you phrase them wrong or write in them in crappy little bits (i.e. bullet-points) then your knowledge of that topic is gonna look s.h.i.t! Plus, your Irish has to be pretty good, if not perfect, as 3 marks out of 15 go for your Irish, with just 12 going for your actual points.

You also know that in the LC, the majority of questions are marked in multiples of 3, and the last time I checked, 12 = 4 by 3, so ideally, you should give 4 points to cover your ass.`

So, in short: Learn four main points.
    Put those points into sentence-form.
    Phrase them properly.
    Make sure your Irish is perfect.
    Memorise all this.
    And voila....... 30 extra marks!

Personally, I'm only learning two things: Dan Direach and An Ruraiocht. Why? Because it would be way too hard to memorise everything; Dan Direach hasn't appeared in the last 2 years. And an Ruraiocht is due up this year, if the pattern of Fhiannaoicht, Ruraiocht, Fhiannaiocht, Ruraicoht...... continues.

Good luck! ;)

:ninja:

Advertisement