Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legals for the site and supporters pack

Options
  • 28-05-2003 10:49pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is the final bit of the puzzle. The legals.

They are fascist as you might expect but we leave copyright (and responsibility) with the poster.

Have a read if you are insomniac. I've read it through myself and made some adjustments. Looks fine to me... as good as any legal thing is going to fit with us...

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i read the first line and got bored...

as long as you assure me i'm not signing my life away then thats good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was thinking of summarizing it but then that might form the legal agreement.

it basically says that you own your own words, that you understand that if you act the asshole we will kick you and keep your cash :)

you grant us copyright to distribute your words and pictures and indemnify us from damage you might cause somehow.

Its actually not a very complex legal agreement. fairly standard boiler plate stuff. Spin Solutions shareholders agreement runs to about 20 times that length. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Do you think that lawyers ever get tempted to write blah blah blah blah blah in the middle of legal documents? and sandwich that will some legal speak secure in the knowledge that no one will ever read it.

I reckon I could be a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by DeVore

you grant us copyright to distribute your words and pictures and indemnify us from damage you might cause somehow.
    DeV.

does this mean you can take the pics from "Know your Nerds" and stick them on "Hot or Not" or some such web site :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Trebor
    does this mean you can take the pics from "Know your Nerds" and stick them on "Hot or Not" or some such web site :D
    That and

you quote:
    (e.g. Journals, photopost) are services provided to some or all paying subscribers
    Could you explain why it is phrased in such a way? i.e. some or all paying subs??

also you quote:
    2. Copyright and Trademark Notices All contents of this Web Site are: Copyright © 1998-2003 Boards Ltd and/or its parent and affiliated companies and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved. Boards is for the personal, non-commercial use of users. Boards and the Boards Logo are registered trademarks of Board's Ltd. 3. Intellectual Property Boards, including, without limitation, all Boards Communication Features, contains copyrighted material, trademarks and other proprietary information including, without limitation, text, software, photographs, video, graphics, music and sound, and the entire contents of Boards and each area contained therein are copyrighted as a collective work under copyright laws. Boards owns a copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement and enhancement of such content. You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content contained on Boards (including, without limitation, content that Boards enables you to download) without the express written permission of Boards and the copyright owner
    I am reading into this that If some body loads up a pic from an ad agency that I would be breaking the law in downloading and e-mailing that off to a mate, without your permission or the permission of the originator. Is that true?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, read the last line there.

Copyright remains with the poster. Since we *publish* stuff on your behalf we have to have the reproduction rights (or else someone can come along and say that we published their Journal and broke their copyright! Mad, but there you go).

Things are NEVER nailed to a mast in a legal document so that you can never be tripped up later by them. So "Some or all" is used so that noone can pull funny sh*t later on with some logical loophole like "you didnt do that to ALL paying subs!" when we really mean "any one of".

We only have rights to publish from this site. Putting anything on Hot Or Not wouldnt be covered by this legal agreement.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

hehm, sounds fair enough to me, sucks that you have to do stuff like that in the first place :E.

Has anyone ever threatened legal action? (apart from an unmentioned jar or headlike company)

Eircom, Meteor and some minor others have issued threatening letters to us before. Only one (Eircom) for copyright violation.

This just covers our asses a bit from people putting up Burn Esat Burn or Errorcom logos :)

We're not after the film rights to anyones journal after all!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Truckle
    hehm, sounds fair enough to me, sucks that you have to do stuff like that in the first place :E.

Has anyone ever threatened legal action? (apart from an unmentioned jar or headlike company)

i think Eircom tried something before didn't they? i seem to remember a letter that bubbles got to keep in the end.

EDIT: DeVore got here before me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Trebor
    not really, since they arent hosted on boards.ie but on yorema.com

simple.

adnans

Basically the agreement says:

1. We own the copyright on the SYSTEM that produces the content.

2. Copyright for the content YOU put in that system remains with you.

3. You agree to indemnify us from lawsuit arising from YOUR content.

4. Act the c*nt and we'll boot you off and keep your cash for the coke and hoes.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

4. Act the c*nt and we'll boot you off and keep your cash for the coke and hoes.

Where, in accordance with Boards.ie Legal Charter Article 38894 Paragraph 12 Subsection 6, "coke" may also be used to refer to any variety of caffeine-heavy soft drinks, including but not limited to Dr Pepper, Red Bull, and that odd Coke with Vanilla stuff; and "hoes" can be taken to mean Amp in a dress and lipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Do you think that lawyers ever get tempted to write blah blah blah blah blah in the middle of legal documents?
    I've heard of one typist in a surveyors office who added a dead baby joke to a contract. Caused multiple brain haemorrages to the guy reading it. :D

Actually I think for a laugh we'll put in a point 15. Blahblahblahblah :)

DeV.

I hope you're not thinking of appropriating my intellectual property without due remuneration.

For shame.

*boggle*

Dapper.... what the hell gives you that idea?

yeah, I'm just dying to own copyright on 1million posts of "woot!" "ure ma!" and "lol!" :)

/me looks at dapper weird.

DeV.

Perhaps sarcasm tags next time.

Intellectual property being refered to was the idea of putting blah blah blah somewhere in the middle of a legal document.

Hmmm so thats the sound of a joke falling flat on it's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Shinji
    Where, in accordance with Boards.ie Legal Charter Article 38894 Paragraph 12 Subsection 6, "coke" may also be used to refer to any variety of caffeine-heavy soft drinks, including but not limited to Dr Pepper, Red Bull, and that odd Coke with Vanilla stuff; and "hoes" can be taken to mean Amp in a dress and lipstick.

I called a lawyer about this slander but he just kept fixating on things like "what kind of dresses I liked?" and "was I a bad girl?".

Doh... I think my hooma-circuits havent come back online since the beers...

:)

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement