Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less Than Jake @ TBMC: Afterthoughts

Options
  • 29-05-2003 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Man, that was like some crazy, no-ruling party. The TBMC guys weren't as overpowering as I have seen in other shows. As for the bands, I missed Allister and I can pass on Teen Idols. But Less Than Jake were very, very cool - excellent live band. I was glad that it was downsized to the TBMC instead of the Ambassador, as I prefered the smaller setting (maybe Dance of Desire has a purpose after all...?).
    Anyway, here is the full setlist from the show;

Automatic
    Help Save the Youth of America From Exploding
    Short Fuse Burning
    My Very Own Flag
    Just Like Frank
    Nervous in the Alley
    One Last Cigarette
    The Ghosts of You and Me
    History of a Boring Town
    Look What Happened
    She's Gonna Break Soon
    Last One Out of Liberty City
    Mark Cruce

ENCORE
    Plastic Cup Politics
    Gainsville Rock City
    Al's War
    Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts
    All My Best Friends are Metalheads

Anyone else go? Post your comments here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

There were a few of us on the balcony watching the soundcheck after college and it was really cool. They played 3 songs and the singer got us to wave at him and he told a few dirty jokes but that's all we got. A few of us were helping with the load in and load out purely as experience and also just to be helpful but MCD were having none of it and kicked us out...bastards.
    I've seen Less Than Jake live twice and they were really really good so I wasn't p issed off about that but I'm livid at the way MCD treated us...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Less Than Jake ruled. You missed nothing not seeing Alistar. They sucked in a very big juicy knob way. Teen Idols were pretty much just ok. Got their CD. Haven't listened to much of it yet but it seems to be a bit generic :|. The place was like a funkin oven.
    To be honest I though they were better at Witnness last year. that was probably because of the heat in themusic centre though.
    Overall a great night anyway.

Dregin

P.S. yes MCD are arseholes. I was videoing Berkeley support Cave-In at Whelans and when the woman from MCD saw the camera she went apesh!t. We had to get Berkeley's manager to chase her away. They are a complete pain to deal with. Witnness is a true testimony to the utter crap that they spew out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I can't believe i missed that gig....after me trapising into the ambassador on the 7th to be told it was cancelled :mad: stupid fooookin junior cert, my parents made me stay in and study aaahhh!!!!!!

I'm sure my time will come again tho.....no doubt.

would it have been easy for a 15 year old to get in to the gig?

Originally posted by Funkstard
    would it have been easy for a 15 year old to get in to the gig?

Yes. My brother's 14. He wasn't asked for ID and when I was at the bar the girl behind it actually asked him if he wanted a drink... without him actually asking.

they should be back sometime. I heard Bruxels was pretty good after. had to go home for work in the mornin at 9 though :(

Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

I'm 16, and I got into Less Than Jake with no questions asked. In fact, I believe many of the people at the gig were under 18.
    I think that was expected though, cause when I went to Folk Implosion on Friday, they wouldn't let me in cause I had no ID. In that case I asked someone to "accompany" me going in, and so the TBMC warned me not to consume any alcohol or I'd be thrown out. That was cool though, cause I just wanted to see Lou Barlow and co., yet there was hardly anyone there was under 18.

I actually remember seeing someone filming Berkeley at Cave-In
    from the second floor, and I said to myself "Man. I wish I could get away with that."

• Advertisement

:) It went pretty sweetly although the MCD woman sat right behind us the whole time and told us on none too few occassions to turn it off as soon as Berkeley were finished. We got permission from Berkeley and checked it out with Whelan's too. We even had our own bouncer at the stairs makin sure noone came up or anything, which was nice :)

Advertisement