Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaco GP

• 29-05-2003 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Well it's only three days away and as it's one of my favourite circuits I can't wait. Granted it ain't the most exciting race of the year but just to see the drivers control the car around the circuit is enough entertainment ofr me and as for the nerve you need to go through tht tunnell at the speed they go at . . . . . well enough said.

It's gona all be down to strategy so I'm gona go with another tight battle between Ferrari and McLaren with the pole sitter to take the win.

1. Schumi
    2. Raikonnen
    3. Rubens/DC/Alonso

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you're a betting man, I'd put money on a Renault. The power defecit won't mean much in Monaco, the thing handles beautifully and the Michelins might be the tire to have. However, in testing Alonso wasn't too quick but Trulli was. Trulli is always quick around Monaco and a pretty good qualifier so I'd put a tenner each way on him.

Edit: Paddypower have Trulli at 7-2 for a podium and 25-1 for the win. Montoya at 16-1 for the win would be worth a punt as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Obvious Shumi has to be favourite, good alternatives I believe would be the Mclaren duo and the renualt of Alonso. Shame some more bans were not introduced for this race I'd like to see how the drivers perform with manual gears on this track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My money (if I had any) would be on Renault (Trulli) giving Ferrari a hard time, dunno what the weather forcast is but I belive its very nice at the moment so Jordan have'nt a chance...in the past the Jaguars have done well or at least Irvine did well round Monaco so maybe Webber could do something? (I say this not having seen todays practice times...)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by jonno
    ....it's one of my favourite circuits

Me too !
    Although I was/am a huge fan of Spa.

Prolly Belgium would just shade it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Schumi to win and Rubens to be unlucky again somehow and finish about 3rd.

• Advertisement

After seeing 2nd qualifieng today I thing the williams must be on a low fuel load coz they wern't doing much most of the weekend.

anyone agree????

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

looks like the BAR won't even be there!
    http://planet-f1.com/Home/story_11903.shtml

Well done JPM , the low fuel load strategy worked for him.

I dont understand the lack of pace from the ferrari's though. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Delighted for JPM....
    Even though there wasnt uch action on the track I rather enjoyed that race.

Always enjoy monaco no matter what cause the extra skill needed to finish the grand prix never mind win it is beyonfd any other on the race calander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bailed out at the half-way point it was soooooo dull!

Good for Montoya though! Ferrari were'nt at the races as they had Bridgestone tyres...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

It was primarily a "Battle of the Tyre Empires". Bridgestone wern't at the races at all. They had a good run in the free practise sessions but Michellin out classed them in the race.

Well done JPM - nothing like a pretigious track to get your second race win (not that I would know:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Originally posted by celticfc
    I dont understand the lack of pace from the ferrari's though. :confused:
    Schumi was fast but the high fuel strategy screwed him up. If he hadn't been stuck behind the Renault for the first 20 laps or so, he would probably have won. The pace he had at the end of the race was much faster than Montoya and Raikkonen.

Originally posted by Ciaran
    If he [schumi] hadn't been stuck behind the Renault for the first 20 laps or so, he would probably have won. The pace he had at the end of the race was much faster than Montoya and Raikkonen.
    That is irrelevant. Using the phrase 'stuck behind' is incorrect. It should read 'he could not manage to pass'. The main reason MS did not do well in Monaco is his driving. Had he qualified better then he would have had a better chance of a win but as Monaco is very difficult to overtake on, a poor qualifing time lost him the race - not other drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by kbannon
    a poor qualifing time lost him the race - not other drivers.

He had 50% more fuel in the tank than anyone else in qualifying and yet managed to only be 3 tenths of the pole time. Get some perspective and get your facts completely straight.

Schumacher would have never been able to push Trulli but after pit stop 1 (straight away) it looked as if the race was his. He was only 5 seconds off Montoya & Kimmi but i think he had a poor set of tyres as he was unable to keep pace with them.

Schumacher certainly had the speed and the car but the tyres on pitstop 1 finished him.

...and if he had a bit less fuel he may have gained those 3/10ths but he didn't! Thats my point.
    Just because a car is in front does not mean that they are blocking him. It is a race - it is the person behind's job to get past them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

[B
    Just because a car is in front does not mean that they are blocking him. [/B]

I never said Schumi was blocked by Trulli but its more than a conicendence that once he got out of Schumachers way (with his pit stop) [and now i am saying he did slow him] that Schumacher suddenly pops in 14.5's...

At the time Schumacher would have been on a low load alright.
    Schumacher never really challenged Trulli cus he was weighed down with a high load so for [imo] 80% of the time he spent behind Trulli he was only able to match his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

That is irrelevant. Using the phrase 'stuck behind' is incorrect. It should read 'he could not manage to pass'. The main reason MS did not do well in Monaco is his driving.
    It was Monaco. No one can manage to pass anyone.
    Had he qualified better then he would have had a better chance of a win but as Monaco is very difficult to overtake on, a poor qualifing time lost him the race - not other drivers.
    That's what I said, the high fuel stategy meant he qualified that far down and ultimately lost him the race

Advertisement