Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone gotten IOLs broadband yet?

Options
  • 29-05-2003 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I mention it because it's been over a month since I registered and after a spam mail advertising it again and and asking me what package I want I have not recieved a word since. :/

I phoned the number on the site and eventually get through to a person she tells me that she heard there was a delay but everyone is currently out of the office (?!) and took my number and said someone would ring me back. :/

Is this norm I'm going to expect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Well I rang them on Monday asking for IOL broadband.. I recieved the forms today, will fill them up and send them back today also- after which they said it will take 12 working days (Self-install).. So.. here comes the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

i currently have ntl cable and i'm satisfied with it because they do not cap but unfortunatley i need to change to IOL. Now i heard that they capped to 5gb a month and then 3 cents per mb (by the way i dont even know why capping exists and i sure hope that this **** disapears). I play a lot of games i can stay on for like 3 hours playing cs or more cause i also play other games. Now is this capping stuff only when you download or is it also surfing, playing games etc... And if i played cs for 1 hour for example how many mb would i have accumulated.
    Thank you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Subc
    i currently have ntl cable and i'm satisfied with it because they do not cap but unfortunatley i need to change to IOL. Now i heard that they capped to 5gb a month and then 3 cents per mb (by the way i dont even know why capping exists and i sure hope that this **** disapears). I play a lot of games i can stay on for like 3 hours playing cs or more cause i also play other games. Now is this capping stuff only when you download or is it also surfing, playing games etc... And if i played cs for 1 hour for example how many mb would i have accumulated.
    Thank you

:eek: Don't do it man!! NTL is the best broadband service in Ireland, their only problem is their limited roll out.

IOL Broadband:
    512k - 256k / 128k
    48:1 contention
    5GB cap
    EUR 50 per month

NTL:
    600k / 128k
    20:1 contention
    No CAP
    EUR 40 per month

Why do you need to change from this nirvana?

i have no choice i am moving house

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well they rang me back and were quite nice about it. Th woman took more details and said I would have the Self-Install package in 2-3 days (I guess working working days)

• Advertisement

How could you sign up over the phone? (Or had you previously filled a form?) Eircom offered to sign me up over the phone but EsatBT insisted I had to fill out their form before they could proceed to set me up with DSL (12 working days I was quoted)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

yep just gotten the iol sign up forms
    seeming its a bank holiday they wont get them for days :(

i seen somewere (if its right) on this forum that 2 -3 hours of cs uses 45 megs of d/l cap muiltply that by 30 and that = 1,35 gigs to be honest thats not bad is it ? even if you spent 6 hours a night on cs thats only half your cap (asumeing iol will enforce the cap to the letter which they more than likely wont) leaveing you anuff for basic surfing mod downloading etc

also wasnt iol considering makeing the cap bigger something like 10 gig .............. anymore info on this ?

what those this stupid cap **** exist lol
    i mean i'm not trying to compare ireland the usa but in the u.s i didnt get that cap stuff.
    Mabey if that cap stuff didnt exist and the prices were lowered mabey we can talk but right now its terrible. Not available in a lot of areas too. But as time goes by im sure things will improve

yep it could be a pain if your into d.l massive files and such

but its 15 euro cheaper than netsources and around 119 euro less to get installed

should be ok for me though as i only play star trek games (yep im a sad basturd) such as bridge commander 4 starships beating the snot out of each other use much less bandwith than 40 soliders i would say

plus anyway how are you ment to keep to a d.l limit im assumeing iol will give you some kinda monitoring softwear or else its really not your fault if you go over the 5 gig is it

well i just found that that i can't get IOl but mabey Eircom dsl so thats 4gb cap now :(
    And we have 3 computers so we will need a router and such
    So imaging 4gb for 3 computers for 1 month thats ridiculous that makes me laugh actually i bet you that we use it so much that we can end up getting 10mb line in england or something but no here everything has to be different

• Advertisement

ewww that sucks man 1,25 gigs a month per pc :(

my biggest worry now is wtf is my customer ID that esat asks for at the top of the iol sign up forums (any one know what their looking for?)
    and if they can read my awful handwriteing lol :D

yes well you talk to whoever runs eircom dsl asking them why this exists not like they have no money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

TBH Biz I find your posts hard enough to read! Haven't yourself and SubC ever heard of punctuation? It's a forum, not an AOL chat ffs :rolleyes: .

lol o by the way netsource any good?

Originally posted by bizmark

my biggest worry now is wtf is my customer ID that esat asks for at the top of the iol sign up forums (any one know what their looking for?)
    and if they can read my awful handwriteing lol :D

That's for people who are already EsatBT customers and have customerIDs (eg those who have their telephone service / No Limits / IOL Gold / Netsmart, etc). If you dont have one, dont worry- leave it blank (make sure you fill in the Eircom account number).

They will assign you a new customerID on your next bill.

well my dad has a esat account number will i use that or just get my own ?

Well.. is it for a home internet product? Is he going to be paying for the DSL himself from the same DD/CC? If still confused Im sure you can leave it blank and they'd know what best to do with it.

the account we have is for netsmart and home phone

and ya ill be paying for it but it will be useing his DD account

which is the same DD we use for the netsmart and phone

plus also why is their next to the "customer id" a little "No." box (im assumeing it means number)

they really should have explaned those 2 better :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

It's June already, ignoring the weather.

"Installs to start in May", I believe was the quote.

And ?

• Advertisement

Bizmark..
    ..Use your dad's customerID (from the Netsmart bill)
    ..Use your phone number which you want DSL on
    ..Eircom account number from your Eircom bill

flav0rflav
    I rang EsatBT today, they told me I should get my self-install pack early next week, and that I should be connected by the end of that week (Friday the 13th) or then the week after that at latest.

It should be noted that the delay is on Eircom's part, who take 10-11 days to enable a line for DSL, hence why Netsource and EsatBT both quote 12-working days for setup.

And Eircom is known for dragging its feet.

well the form was sent out without the customer id number eh no biggy just tell them turn of netsmart when i get broadband in around 15 weeks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

any one ere got the self install and what those the package consist of ,

also any one here ever go over the iol limit and if so did they enforce it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    It's June already, ignoring the weather.

"Installs to start in May", I believe was the quote.

And ?

I said June all along.....did I not.

Just an update, EsatBT rang me asking for a username/password which I gave them- they said the modem will be out to me and I should be connected by the weekending 20th June at the latest. Fingers crossed.. DSL 2 years after I first enjoyed it living in Switzerland.. like I went into the past darkages and back to the future now!

when did you send out the forms ???

i sent them yesterday so im asuming ill get the "ring" in around 3-4 days

Took them three days after I sent the form for them to ring me.. So you should get a call soon also I hope.. Yay to BB :)

On a sidenote, a salesperson who called down to my house asking if I was interested in EsatBT (Told him I already had the phone service) told me that No Limits is finishing soon- could mean 24/7 flat-rate dialup internet's coming sooner than we expected.

yep i got the "call" today

im really suprised how fast their moveing alone with this ........ hopefuly ill have the modem etc in a few days and BB when ever eircon gets off their fat ass and turns me on (in a none sexuly way) esat said they be in contact again in a week :D that would be the 12 working days how suprised i am from the quick turn around time

well done esat hope they can keep it up !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You must be the only one then because I am still waiting for them to send it out to me!

I rang today and said I was told I would get the stuff Tuesday. She told me they would ring me back. *Sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I got the forms today. It's great to see someone that actually offers something that beats eircom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement