Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Definition Televison - Hdtv

• 29-05-2003 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I was to import a HDTV from America would it work here without much effort?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Does anyone know if I was to import a HDTV from America would it work here without much effort?
    The hardware can be made to function with a widely available 220V->110V transformer, but what HDTV signal do you expect to receive?

AFAIK nowhere in Europe is HDTV broadcast on anything but a small scale trial basis. RTE may still have digital terrestrial test signals going from a few transmitters, but the RF modulation format is totally different from what's used for HDTV in the US even if the HDTV could make sense of the digital stream it would get from it.

You could use it with an imported HDTV Digital Video Recorder, but the machines are silly money and content hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know i will no be able to receive HDTV quality from broadcasts, but I can from my XBOX and numerous DVD players I presume! Will I be able to view PAL broadcasts and sky digital trhough one of these TV's though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I know i will no be able to receive HDTV quality from broadcasts, but I can from my XBOX and numerous DVD players I presume!
    Not sure about the X-Box, particularly with respect to regional differences between an American X-Box and a European one. As for DVDs, they start out at lower quality than broadcast TV - ignoring what PAL does to colours the odd time. DVDs will see no benefit above a regular Irish TV that takes a SCART RGB input (worth pointing out that American TVs don't do SCART, far too French for them). Some DVD players (X-box too I think) do have a 'progressive scan' mode (as opposed to regular interlaced mode) that does help, but you'd be better off getting a TV here that can do that trick. I mean for the kind of money you'd blow on a HDTV you could probably get a kick-ass plasma.
    Will I be able to view PAL broadcasts and sky digital trhough one of these TV's though?
    Most unlikely without a lot of effort and technical expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Quality post! Just one of the geeky things I have wanted to do for a while!

Advertisement