Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Plans

Options
  • 29-05-2003 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I saw this in Irishjobs

NTL Broadband Engineer - Overall responsibility for defining, planning and delivering the end to end technology solutions required to deliver ntl Ireland’s Consumer Broadband Roadmap within budget constraints.

If anything it shows that they do have a broadband plan!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My six year old could do a better job than they're doing at the moment, so we're going to type up a CV for him this evening.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by thegills
    within budget constraints

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by dahamsta
    My six year old could do a better job than they're doing at the moment, so we're going to type up a CV for him this evening.

adam

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

How stupid can they be not to have launched everywhere by now? I know it might cost a good bit to set up but once they had that done I'm pretty damned sure everyone would sign up with them. If NTL became available in my area I'd sign up with them without a second's notice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Sloth
    How stupid can they be not to have launched everywhere by now? I know it might cost a good bit to set up but once they had that done I'm pretty damned sure everyone would sign up with them. If NTL became available in my area I'd sign up with them without a second's notice.

I remember reading some where that it would cost 1,300 (I can't remember if it was euro or punt, but I think it was punt) per customer to upgrade their cable to two way quality cable.

That's a lot of cash.

You see most of the cable in the UK was high quality and capable of doing two way communications. Therefore it is easy and cheap to roll out bb.

In Ireland we are yet again plagued by cheap and inferior cable that can't do two way communications. Therefore in order to roll out bb, they would have to dig up everyones cable and change it.

The areas that have cable BB are the areas that where last to get cable TV and because at that stage they had begun thinking about BB over cable, they laid better quality cable.

Supposedly with the latest roll out in Lucan, they have found a way of getting BB over the cheaper quality cable, so it won't cost them a fortune to roll it out to everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bk
    Supposedly with the latest roll out in Lucan, they have found a way of getting BB over the cheaper quality cable, so it won't cost them a fortune to roll it out to everyone :)
    Aren't a lot of the estates in Lucan very new, in which case it would probably be the higher grade cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I know it might cost a good bit to set up but once they had that done I'm pretty damned sure everyone would sign up with them. If NTL became available in my area I'd sign up with them without a second's notice.

Until recentily Ireland has represented a cash cow for NTL, they overpaid hugely for cablelink and since there is no real market pressure from Eircom (they aren't really in the phone business - NTL I mean), they have just been looking to milk the assets for as long as possible.

Upgrading areas in Ireland is no more expensive than rolling out cable services to parts of wales (as they are doing at the moment), but why would they bother, when they already have a nice little earner from digital tv and very little market pressure to improve, it seems like alot of money for very little return.

Although I do suspect now that SKY is beginning to hurt NTL, so maybe this new rollout has been driven by an effort to compete with SKY ... perhaps ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

NTL can only offer services in Dublin, Waterford and Galway, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by thegills
    NTL can only offer services in Dublin, Waterford and Galway, AFAIK.
    No, they can offer them anywhere. The exclusive franchise areas of Chorus and NTL are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by bk
    In Ireland we are yet again plagued by cheap and inferior cable that can't do two way communications. cable,

Actually, this is one of the few (only?) cases where we are kind of plagued by being ahread of the game. remember Cable in Ireland (or Dublin at least) is 30 years old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement