Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does irish diving cost

Options
  • 29-05-2003 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself & better half are back from Oz/Thailand. Both certified (OW & S/R). So how much does it cost to dive in Ireland.

Some of the things that I'd like to know - how much for dry suit (2nd hand) - I assume you need that here.

How much per dive with a club - do you have to pay for bcd tank/reg per dive.

is it worthwhile diving on the east coast - (we're based in Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by bambam
    Hi,

Myself & better half are back from Oz/Thailand. Both certified (OW & S/R). So how much does it cost to dive in Ireland.

Some of the things that I'd like to know - how much for dry suit (2nd hand) - I assume you need that here.

How much per dive with a club - do you have to pay for bcd tank/reg per dive.

is it worthwhile diving on the east coast - (we're based in Dublin)

If you check the links page you will find dive websites with prices. Roughly about €90 for a boat dives * 2 & gear/tanks.

Dry suits you can rent. New there about €900.

Personally I've never dived on the east coast but I could highly recommend the West/South West coast. Again check the links section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Dry Suit 2nd hand: I got mine second hand of my brother after 30 dives for half price - its a gates provsn 1100(as far as i can remember). However i wouldn't buy a suit from someone i didn't know. - you never know what you're gonna get. Buy a suit online from gates (now called hunter) direct...or pretty much anywhere fro the uk and you'll be saving yourself about 200/300 euro. All in i'd say you're looking at between 600-900 euro.

And oh hella yeah would i recommend a dry suit for irish waters.

How mucyh per dive with a club: Its about 30/35 euro nowadays per boat dive. Most operators will include tank + weights with the price. I wouldn't pay more than 35 unless they are supplying sexual favours as well! Assuming you don't own your own gear then you'll have to rent the kit. You can look this up on web sites like www.flagshipscuba.com . Its not usually all that expensive although you're better off getting you own gear as soon as possible. diving with kit you are unfamiliar with is not a good way to go about things, you'll find it hard to get comfortable in the water. Your own kit is worth the investment in the long run. What kit you buy...well thats a whole different can of worms..DIR not DIR, techie gear or recreational....

Is it worthwhile diving the east cost: Try this first...fill you bath full of water, leave some room so it doesn't overflow when you get in. Get a bucket full of dirt and throw it into the bath. Mix it up by stomping around in the bath for about 2-3 minutes. Then get into the bath for 30minutes...make sure you don't get out until you're cold. Congratulations - you've saved yourself perhaps 35-45 euro. For me the west cost is the only place to dive....but thats just me.

BTW - welcome back. But get ready for a big difference in the diving you did in thailand/oz compared to here. You don't get 24c water with 20m+ vis (all that ofter). It can be cold and dark and rough. But its always diving baby!

Appologies for any spelling mistakes but i couldn't be arsed going back to fix em ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Peace
    Dry Suit 2nd hand: I got mine second hand of my brother after 30 dives for half price - its a gates provsn 1100(as far as i can remember). However i wouldn't buy a suit from someone i didn't know. - you never know what you're gonna get. Buy a suit online from gates (now called hunter) direct...or pretty much anywhere fro the uk and you'll be saving yourself about 200/300 euro. All in i'd say you're looking at between 600-900 euro.

And oh hella yeah would i recommend a dry suit for irish waters.

How mucyh per dive with a club: Its about 30/35 euro nowadays per boat dive. Most operators will include tank + weights with the price. I wouldn't pay more than 35 unless they are supplying sexual favours as well! Assuming you don't own your own gear then you'll have to rent the kit. You can look this up on web sites like www.flagshipscuba.com . Its not usually all that expensive although you're better off getting you own gear as soon as possible. diving with kit you are unfamiliar with is not a good way to go about things, you'll find it hard to get comfortable in the water. Your own kit is worth the investment in the long run. What kit you buy...well thats a whole different can of worms..DIR not DIR, techie gear or recreational....

Is it worthwhile diving the east cost: Try this first...fill you bath full of water, leave some room so it doesn't overflow when you get in. Get a bucket full of dirt and throw it into the bath. Mix it up by stomping around in the bath for about 2-3 minutes. Then get into the bath for 30minutes...make sure you don't get out until you're cold. Congratulations - you've saved yourself perhaps 35-45 euro. For me the west cost is the only place to dive....but thats just me.

BTW - welcome back. But get ready for a big difference in the diving you did in thailand/oz compared to here. You don't get 24c water with 20m+ vis (all that ofter). It can be cold and dark and rough. But its always diving baby!

Appologies for any spelling mistakes but i couldn't be arsed going back to fix em ;)

I'd have to agree with all of that. The west is the place to go. Especially Scubadivewest. Great vis. Heading to Kilkee this weekend myself

I recently bought a second hard VSN 1100 also. I got it for €700
    in the G.Outdoors. It's perfect. Their €1100 brand new in there. Crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Kilkee huh, post a trip report when you get back?...its been on my list of possible places to go but haven't got round to it yet.

Agreed on scubadivewest - top drawer bloke's running the dive centre(safe and professional IMO). Hell you get to see dolphins on the ride back from the dives if you're lucky. I remember one day we were on our way back and the dolphins were putting on one hell of a show..flips, jumps,riding the bow wave...the whole shooting match. Most excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

Kilkee has some top notch dives, it's a little weather dependent but the town has a few decent pubs if it gets too choppy.
    Loads of excellent B&B's and houses to rent, all very new and clean. It's one location I'd take the family with me.

Scubadive West has heated indoor showers!
    It's almost always diveable and I reckon it's the best place to learn to dive or even start the season with some nice gentle dives.

For drysuits I'd talk to Richard Lafferty at Aquaholics.org who offers excellent advice, won't flog you the most expensive thing when it's not appropriate and is usually priced below the Dublin shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Tend to buy most of my stuff from

Diveinn

Have found them to be great value and exceptionally quick delivery.

JAK.

Advertisement