Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NetSource: BE WARNED on snail speeds !!

Options
  • 29-05-2003 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

After waiting a day and a half for an answer to my emails on my concerns over speeds and ping times I have now been told by Netsource that:

For my SOHO product::

Ping times of 270-300ms are to be expected for this product and must be accepted.

Speeds of <100k are also to be expected over the long term. Speeds in excess are NOT to be expected, except briefly.

I have not exceeded 100k for two days now (testing regularly) and my pings to www.netsource.ie are consistently 270-300ms !!

How can this be marketed as broadband ? albeit Rate Adaptive Broadband ?

I will be leaving this company (nice and helpful though the staff are -I HAVE to say) the minute Esat come to my exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

i don't quite understand why ping times for 300ms should be accepted for this product. i can get better on 56k modem.

i'm often getting 400k - 500k speeds during the afternoon at the moment, towards the evening this goes down to about 100k at best for me.

still wouldn't go for esat myself, not with a 5 gig cap when netsource is uncapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Just can connected today on there SOHO Radsl service. This is one huge disappointment. Game pings are well over 200ms, surfing the web at times is as slow as dial-up and download speeds are less than 16k/sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by nahdoic
    i don't quite understand why ping times for 300ms should be accepted for this product. i can get better on 56k modem.

i'm often getting 400k - 500k speeds during the afternoon at the moment, towards the evening this goes down to about 100k at best for me.

still wouldn't go for esat myself, not with a 5 gig cap when netsource is uncapped.

Not much point in worrying about a 5gig cap if speeds of <100k are to be 'expected' with the SOHO is there . . .

If your speeds drops sometime soon, and they tell you "that's RADSL for you" .... you may change your mind...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well In that case Netsource have just lost at least a dozen potential customers at the company I work for, friends and neighbours.

They had all asked me who they should go for when they saw the Eircom ads, I said Netsource.

Now I will be telling them to hold off and see how IOL Broadband works out or **shudder** go with Eircom, who seem to have excellent pings and no contention problems.

It is a pity, for a while there I was thinking Netsource where going to be the UTV of the bb market, I suppose we will just have to wait for the real thing from UTV :)

If Netsource do decide to get their act together, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by bk
    It is a pity, for a while there I was thinking Netsource where going to be the UTV of the bb market, I suppose we will just have to wait for the real thing from UTV :)

If Netsource do decide to get their act together, let us know.

They have gained a well earned reputation for excellent support service and general public relations.

But without the product that counts for NIL.

Looking over my test results from several speed test sites in the UK, IRE and USA, my speed has not exceeded ISDN speed in the last 48 hours and has dipped below 80k about 40% of the time, while I KNOW that I can get the full 512k on my line.
    While writing this I tried to visit Netsource's web site and waited about five seconds before it started to arrive...

It's NOT that some people don't have high speeds with NetSource, they do - it's the fact that they claim they don't need to deliver it with the SOHO product and that let's face it... the numbers using DSL must be TINY right now compared with the months ahead.

I also wonder about their advertising of the product as Broadband if they claim that they don't actually have to deliver broadband at ANY time . . . ?

Perhaps this is a case for the advertising authority.. not that I intend to stay that long if things don't improve soon. Which is a pity, 'cos I do find their general support and the staff's fresh attitude excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Thats the good thing about 2 month contracts and not 12 months, give them a few weeks to sort it, or leave them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Piliger
    For my SOHO product::

Ping times of 270-300ms are to be expected for this product and must be accepted.

ja, seeya l8tr netsource

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

yeah, I reckon they will be sorting it out, they've already requested more bandwidth or something from eircom in another thread.

but it is ridiculous, i get great speeds during the day, but now at the busy time it's worse than 56k, about 2.3 kb/s. and the pings are still all over the place.

i'm still very happy to have DSL :D but will probably be switching to UTV bb product when it comes out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I never even got my netsource BB.... I'm not too upset now though after reading this
    I cancelled it a few days ago, after getting the runaround for a month and reluctantly ordered i-stream enhanced from the rat......

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Originally posted by nahdoic

Well if you go for a business 512 down 256 up with Esat it's not capped [may be a bit expensive though] - Plus uncapped means feic all with such high pings. Stick with Esat - they seem to know their stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Esat business is only available in a few exchanges, if it was available to me i'd get it, but its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

Hi,

In on the Bray exchange and just did 2 speed tests at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp I got 210kbps on the first test and then 150kbps on the second.

When I was connected on Tuesday at around 9am my router told me that I was connected at 1024 down and 256 up, I did some speed tests during the day and was getting around between 700kbps and 890kbps, I had this connection speed unit about 7:30pm when I lost my connection and my router reconnected, sinse then I've been connected at 512/128, I think eircom connected me on to the wrong service for 10 and a half hours, what a pitty they noticed.

Cheers
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

what the hells the point of haveing a uncapped service if you dont have the speed to use it ........... 300 ping thats only 50 better than my 56k

:D im glad im going with esat now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

It's worse than 56k! I used to play CS on my 56ker with pings in the 175-200 region but then the diamond express really was a king among 56k modems and oceanfree were great.
    These days on netsource I get pings of 60-100ms usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Strange how i get constant 430 kbits/s (54kbytes/s) whenever i want to at any time of the day even during 'peak' hours :confused:

Pings are all over the place like others though the web pages do fly as expected :)
    I don't really care about pings as i'm not a gamer :)

Maybe my connection is the exception rather than the rule ? :):)

What exchange are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

After having it Netsource's "DSL" for about 36 hours now I am VERY disappointed with the speed of it. If this is not rectified within 8 weeks I'm probably going to leave. I don't see the point of having DSL if I can look at my modem and think of the better speeds I could be getting using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Sloth
    It's worse than 56k! I used to play CS on my 56ker with pings in the 175-200 region but then the diamond express really was a king among 56k modems and oceanfree were great.
    These days on netsource I get pings of 60-100ms usually.

How is a ping of 60-100ms "worse" than a 56k ping of 175-200?

Oops, I didn't make that clear I guess. I was calling the RADSL product worse than the 56k one.
    The last sentence was the comparison for my ADSL one to show that its better.
    In other words it's late and I was tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Is this just for the NETSOURCE RADSL 512kb or is it the same for EIRCOM radsl 512kbit (eircom starter). I've currently got eircom adsl 1mbit but I'm thinking of downgrading to 512 starter pack for better pings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Sloth
    What exchange are you on?

Finglas :)

As far as I know both Finglas and Castleknock are pretty damned quiet. I'd say the only reason your getting what are almost acceptable speeds is because theres no one else in your area on the same package, in time though that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i have to say i'm dissapointed.

So far netsource have been friendly an open in their communication, but telling their customers that we just have to ACCEPT a ping of 300+ and horrible download speeds on a DSL product is the biggest load of bull**** ever.

More than bull**** its an insult to our intelligence.

I mean this whole no cap business is meaningless if our connection is worse than a 56k modem which is what it is atm.

Sort out your act netsource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by bizmark
    what the hells the point of haveing a uncapped service if you dont have the speed to use it
    I'm amazed people still don't see the link between caps and the performance of a contended service.

True, of course theres a link. I just think if the caps were more reasonable then people wouldn't have been forced to go for Netsource in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

It's all smoke and mirrors sloth. What they're actually selling you is a product that, worst case scenario, offers roughly half the performance of a dialup modem and isn't capable of breaching even a small cap in the first place.

You gotta know what you're paying for.

I thought any product under 500 speed couldn't be classified as broadband?
    Eircom are able to provide broadband RADSL speeds as are IOL but Netsource aren't providing broadband to their RADSL customers at all.
    To anyone on Netsource RADSL I'd seriously consider that you switch over to Eircom's version. Yes theres a cap but at least you'll be able to sample the joys of broadband even if it means you can't download 5gb files every day. To be honest it's probably enough too, looking at my activity since I got adsl sure there was a big spike of downloading at first but that eventually settles down to just games and webbrowsing which for me since I connected 8hrs ago has used up 45mbs, you'd be well within the limit and still have room for downloads. 4gb might seem anemic but it's perfectly fine as long as your not a downloadaholic and has to be better than the service your getting atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

However mad you may think this sounds, I am of the opinion that Eircom is deliberately sabotaging its competitors that utilize bitstream access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Eircom is deliberately sabotaging its competitors that utilize bitstream access.

You might not be far off.:D :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

Well I spoke to Netsource yesterday about the slowdown of the service in the evening, I was told that they were getting extra bandwidth but that bottleneck problem was with eircom.

Cheers
    Will

Advertisement