Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Maths Options

Options
  • 29-05-2003 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

which ones are you doing and which is the easiest, i cant remember any of them...

also is anyone else still finding it hard to motivate themselves into studying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by nesthead
    also is anyone else still finding it hard to motivate themselves into studying?
    i'm finally doing now sorta, probably too late
    i'm doing liniar programming (q. 11)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yes when if you do as well as you expect you still expect to not do well enough then is incredibly hard to motivate yourself iinto studying.

in my moks i found that we had more time than we needed for each question so i answered them all .... I got a B

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I just keep telling myself that if I don't get the points to get into my course I will have to waste a whole year of my life repeating. And I really don't want to have to. Thats my motivation anyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I'm gonna answer them all except Sequences and series. I'm gonna do Q11 on PII Linear Pro. This is what i done in the mocks and i got an A1 so with a bit of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ye suppose im deffo not repeating...esp after doing this year in the institute......

linear programming ehhh.... im good enough to pass no problem but i need the points out of it so im lookin for the A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

LINEAR PROGRAMMING!!!

OH thank sweet jesus for linear programming!!

I dropped from higher-level back in february, and had to teach LP to myself. It was so easy!! It's so much easier than the other 3 options (I did them all at higher level) - it doesn't make sense how much easier LP is!!

Anyway,yeh i think Linear Programming is the way to go if you have to pick an option - you could teach it to yourself in a matter of hours, if not less!

C ye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

please oh jesus please tell me how that is easier??
    vectors are bad but lp is impossible well i dont have a clue how ot do them and please give the explanation as i need to push 48% in my mocks to 75% next ****in week....

cartman

how do ye study maths, like the questions ye cant do or have trouble with??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

linear programming is very easy! it is basically using a template and just sticking things in!:D I love it!

As for studying maths the best way now is probably to get a book of solutions and learn the METHOD of answering the question rather than trying to understand them.

if you go over each year you will find most Q's are the exact same only worded differently. try concentrating on A and B parts and do your best attempt on C parts. If you get all a and b right its 60% and an attempt on C is worth maybe 5 to 10 marks, that would then give you 35/50 which is 70% not bad for only half a Question.

By the way this is how i used to pass honours(why did i leave?).

Originally posted by cartman
    please oh jesus please tell me how that is easier??

I don't know about vectors but LP is the exact same every time. it's just stick stuff it and hey presto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i wish i had maths smarts, i'm such a chump at maths its not funny:(

but i'm good at other stuff. german - definite A1, with very little study, MWAHAHAHA!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Good ol linear programming for me. God Bless those 1945 mathmaticians who developed it(read that passage about it in the book, its actually pretty interesting)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Kappar
    I'm gonna answer them all except Sequences and series. I'm gonna do Q11 on PII Linear Pro. This is what i done in the mocks and i got an A1 so with a bit of luck
    If you got an A1, you shouldn't be doing pass maths tbh.
    A lot of people are failing pass maths because its harder then it should be.Each year they only give a certain amount of As give or take. This means all those lazy bums who should be doing Hons, are pushing up the standard. They're not using Maths for points so they just drop down...

This means failing is easier in Hons Maths.
    Ah well doesnt bother me, Im going for an A2 in Honours Maths.

But I did do the exact same thing for Irish (dropping down that is)

Originally posted by Sangre
    If you got an A1, you shouldn't be doing pass maths tbh.
    A lot of people are failing pass maths because its harder then it should be.Each year they only give a certain amount of As give or take. This means all those lazy bums who should be doing Hons, are pushing up the standard. They're not using Maths for points so they just drop down...

This means failing is easier in Hons Maths.
    Ah well doesnt bother me, Im going for an A2 in Honours Maths.

But I did do the exact same thing for Irish (dropping down that is)

I was never in Hons maths when i started ou in the school i was put into the pass class and got a B in the JC then when got a new teacher for 5th & 6th year who's great and that's when i started getting good.

The teacher said it why did i never do Hons and that's what i told him. Anyway the teacher that teachs Hons is the teacher i had for the JC (well 2nd and 3rd we had a mentalist in 1st) and he is very scary; he's also the physics teacher that's why i didn't pick physics I know, i know silly reason but you'd have to see this guy he's a wako

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Kappar
    I was never in Hons maths when i started ou in the school i was put into the pass class and got a B in the JC then when got a new teacher for 5th & 6th year who's great and that's when i started getting good.

The teacher said it why did i never do Hons and that's what i told him. Anyway the teacher that teachs Hons is the teacher i had for the JC (well 2nd and 3rd we had a mentalist in 1st) and he is very scary; he's also the physics teacher that's why i didn't pick physics I know, i know silly reason but you'd have to see this guy he's a wako

You sir, have been screwed by the system :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i agree wit you too sangre i di honours maths up untill before the mocks. at that point i got scared and dropped because i was too lazy and didnt want to fail and i only need a B3 in ordinary to get my course!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

When i was doing my leaving (about 5 years ago) I was doing honours up to about march. I was concentrating on it too much so decided to drop down to pass, to give me more time on my other subjects.

Got an A1 in pass. I had applied for a science degree in which a higher level C was required. They let me in with the A1 in pass.

CHIef,

Advertisement