Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Failure Hell

Options
  • 29-05-2003 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

In seeking the truth behind my line failure, I called 1901 in search of a solution not an explanation to my problem. I was rerouted to istream numbers and line faults until I was talking to a somewhat half knowledgeble person about my line failure. He kept giving me the same excuses about line distance which is not an issue for me, living on the same street as the exchange and degrading copper wires. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Grand

I then asked him how the line tests are done and I learned something new here. A pulse is sent out to the line and the echo received to test if the line can pass more than 256kbits of information through it. If so then it passes and if not it fails. He couldn't explain any further exactly how this is done but assured me that these tests are done when the exchange is upgraded to dsl standard. I requested an updated pulse test to be done but am unsure if I'm going to hear from him again.

So failing that my only other solution is to force eircom to dig up roches street and fix the copper, which they're not prepared to do. Does anyone know how the copper is routed under the streets? Since several net cafes are very close to my vicinity I'd like to know precisely how they are getting it.

And anyone else with similar problems how did you get round it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

im not sure either how they are failing people as i failed the RADSL test with netsource, however when i went to Esat busines package i was told id have no problems. (under 5 mins walk frome exchange)

weird.. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by CivilServant
    I requested an updated pulse test to be done but am unsure if I'm going to hear from him again.
    You probably won't. You won't get an individual test anyway, since that's not how it works. The actual tests are performed in bulk at the exchanges once a month, and the data fed into a database. The guy on the end of the phone types in your details and brings up your record with a pass or fail, which is colour-coded for the particularly stupid headset jockeys. By rights, your line should be tested again next month, and every month after that, however the tests were suspended for a while recently, and I don't know if that suspension is still in place.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I wish I knew when the tests were done each month, and if they are currently being done each month. I got some internal wiring re-done, because the phone hopped on/off a bit, and I guess there is the slight chance that in some way influenced the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    im not sure either how they are failing people as i failed the RADSL test with netsource, however when i went to Esat busines package i was told id have no problems. (under 5 mins walk frome exchange)

weird.. :/

That's what I wanted to hear, I'll try them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Seems something has to be wrong with Eircom (like we didn't already know), as Esat business tests for 512, 1 and 2Mbps instead of 256kbps, so if the slower Eircom service fails Esat should too. After all, a line that can not even support 256kbps of data should not be able to support much higher speeds either, right? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement